Samantha Smith (1972-1985) - (30 photos)

The amazing story!
 - Many who are now 30 to 40 years remember well the smiling girl - Samantha Smith (Samantha Reed Smith, June 29, 1972 - August 25, 1985). This American schoolgirl has become famous all over the world that wrote a letter to then-Soviet leader Andropov. It was in 1983, at the height of the Cold War.
The letter was this:
"Dear Mr. Andropov
My name is Samantha Smith. I am ten years old. I congratulate you on your new appointment. I am very worried, not start a nuclear war between the Soviet Union and the United States. Are you for the war or not? If you are against, please tell me, how are you going to prevent war? Of course, you do not have to answer that question, but I would like to know why you want to conquer the world or at least our country. The Lord created the earth that we all can live in peace and not to fight.
Sincerely, Samantha Smith »

Oddly enough, Andropov said the American girl. "Dear Samantha!
I received your letter, as well as many others, coming to me in these days from your country, from other countries. I think - I judge by the letter - that you are brave and honest girl, resembling Becky - girlfriend of Tom Sawyer in the famous book of your compatriot Mark Twain. This book is known and loved in our country by all boys and girls.
You write that you are very concerned about whether there will be a nuclear war between our two countries. And asks whether we do anything to prevent war break out.
Your question - the most important of those who care about each person. I will answer you on it seriously and honestly.
Yes, Samantha, we in the Soviet Union are trying to do and are doing everything to avoid war between the two countries that did not have the war on the ground. So every Soviet man wants. So teach us the great founder of our state, Vladimir Lenin.
The Soviet people know well how horrible and destructive war. '42 Ago, Nazi Germany, which strove for supremacy over the whole world, attacked our country, burned and ravaged many thousands of our towns and villages, killed millions of Soviet men, women and children.
In that war, which ended with our victory, we were in alliance with the United States, fought together for the liberation from the Nazi invaders of many nations. I hope that you know of the history lessons at school. And today we want very much to live in peace, to trade and cooperate with all our neighbors across the globe - and far and with loved ones. And, of course, with such a great country like the United States of America.
And America, and we have nuclear weapons - terrible weapons that can in an instant kill millions of people. But we do not want it to ever have been brought to bear. That is why the Soviet Union solemnly declared to the world that never - never! not to use nuclear weapons first against any country nor, in general we propose to terminate its further production and begin to destroy all its stockpiles on earth.
I think this is a sufficient answer to your second question: "Why do you want to conquer the world or at least the United States?" Nothing of the kind we do not want. No one in our vast and beautiful country nor the workers and peasants, writers nor doctors, nor the adults and children, nor members of the government do not want no more, no "small" wars.
We want peace - we have much to do: to grow wheat, building and inventing, writing books and flying into space. We want peace for ourselves and for all peoples of the planet. For our children and for you, Samantha.
I invite you, if your parents are allowed to come to our country, it would be best during the summer. You get to know our country, meet with their peers, attend an international children's camp - Artek - on the beach. And make sure yourself: in the Soviet Union - all for peace and friendship between peoples.
Thanks for your letter. I wish you all the best.
Andropov »

Samantha and her parents went to the USSR, July 7th, 1983 In the two weeks that the Smith family held in the USSR, Samantha visited Moscow, Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and the pioneer camp "Artek" in Crimea. Although seriously ill Andropov never met Samantha, they were able to talk on the phone.
Journalists of the USSR, the United States and around the world watching every step of Samantha, for each phrase. Before leaving home July 22 Samantha smiled at the cameras with a smile shouted in Russian: "We will live!" And in his book, "My journey in the USSR" Samantha wrote, "they are just like us».

Samantha Smith died in a plane crash August 25, 1985. She and her father came home from the UK. The twin-engine plane missed the runway, crashing 200 meters from it. None of the eight passengers survived.
The death of the famous girls, many in the United States associated with the activities of the KGB, the Soviet Union - on the contrary - with the CIA. Whatever it was, a thorough investigation of the disaster showed that the responsibility for the accident lies with the pilot. In addition, the death of Samantha at the time was not beneficial for either the US or the USSR.

-

Tags

See also

New and interesting