The funeral of Patriarch Paul

More than 600,000 people attended Thursday in the streets of Belgrade, seeing the last journey of the Patriarch of the Serbian Orthodox Church of St. Paul.

Stories that have become legends

Paul in the city or go on foot or traveling by public transport - among human stampede without protection, without accompanying persons. Everyone could go to him and talk to him.

One day, coming to the building of the Patriarchate, St. Paul saw a lot of cars at the entrance and asked whose it is the machine. He was told that this machine bishops. What the patriarch said with a smile: "If they knew the Savior's commandment about nestyazhatelstvo have such machines, the same machines which they would have if this commandment was not?».

It is known that the primate of the Serbian Church always wore old shoes. One woman got an appointment with the patriarch. In discussing the matter, she accidentally looked at the feet of the patriarch and was horrified at the sight of his shoes - they were old, torn once and then mended shoes. The woman thought, "What a shame for us Serbs, that our Patriarch has to go in such rags, surely no one can give him a new obuvku?". Patriarch immediately happily said: "You see what my good shoes? I found them near the urn when he went to the Patriarchate. Someone threw, but it's real leather. I hem them a little - and here, they will be able to serve for a long time ».

Another woman came to the patriarchate, demanding to speak to the Primate of the Serbian Church on urgent business. During the audience, she said that that night she dreamed of the Mother of God, who told the patriarch to bring money so he could buy himself a new pair of shoes. And with that, the visitor handed an envelope with money. Patriarch Pavle, not taking the envelope, he asked: "And what time did you go to sleep?" The woman, surprised, replied: "Well ... somewhere at eleven." "You know, I went later, about four o'clock in the morning," - said the Patriarch - "and I also dreamed of the Mother of God, and asked me to tell you that you took the money and gave to those who really need them." And did not take the money.

He not only could repair any shoes or even sew yourself from old shoes women's boots when he saw that the priest torn robe or cloak, he said to him: "Bring me, I'll fix it».

He wore before the service itself after exposing himself washed, ironed and mended cassock and robes, he professed himself parishioners and their communion. And ate as little as the ancient desert fathers.

Once Patriarch Pavle was flying somewhere on a visit by plane. Above sea plane hit turbulence, it began to shake. A young bishop, who was sitting next to the Patriarch asked what he thought about if the plane now falls. St. Paul calmly replied: "With regard to myself, I apprehend it as an act of justice: for in my life I ate so much fish, which is not surprising if now they will eat me."

Tags

See also

New and interesting