Residents of Lithuania and the offense concerned to project American photographer

Residents of Lithuania and the offense concerned to draft an American photographer of Lithuanian descent Andrew Mikshis depicting provincial disco.

According to many Lithuanians Mikshis in the project showed Lithuanians as "depraved and unkempt drunks," writes DELFI.lt. Chairman of the Union of Photographers of Lithuania Jonas Staselis called placement of these pictures in the British press PR action, having little to do with reality. A Lithuanian Embassy in the UK in the social network Facebook Share utterance living in Lithuania, the British entrepreneur that display photos in the British media is designed to stop investment in western Lithuania.

Photos of the project, on which Andrew Mikshis worked for 10 years, have been published in many Western publications, and received high praise. For example, a columnist for the National Radio US NPR, poet and essayist Andrei Codrescu in the annotation to the book of the photographer said the project is unique. "Andrew on his photographs captures a generation that was destined to be born in a time of great confusion. In the eyes of the "children's disco" has seen the past and difficult to contain indifference, but they - being born in the period, which will no longer be alive only in photographs Andrew. Andrew Mikshis managed to capture a vanishing world in disco ephemeral flashes of light emitting death and hope, "- wrote Codrescu

Himself Mikshis DELFI.lt in an interview, said he was shocked by the reaction of Lithuanians in his pictures. "I believe that in these pictures there is nothing to be ashamed of. Some people think that Lithuania is in my photos look perfect. The people I photographed were wonderful, the place - perfect. I see no reason to grieve over such things. We must be glad that you have such a unique culture, "- says the photographer.

Tags

See also

New and interesting