Master class from Alexander Bondarev. Smoking pipes

Making a truly high-quality tubes - a painstaking process that involves many steps. Today's story is dedicated to the manufacture of tubes master Alexander Bondarev.

Like many self-taught master Alexander: I looked at other people's work, something to notice, something he tried to do something to improve and it is adapted in the work. I will not go into the technical details, I will not dwell on some specific processes. It's all there in the blog from Alexander himself, he tells in detail about the processes and pitfalls and does it expertly and with pictures.

Well, I will go on general sites, jot down, so to speak, sketch.

The tubes are made of many materials, from clay and stone and ending with corn on the cob and pumpkin. Although, the traditional material is considered still a tree. Here, too, there are many options: cherry, pear, beech, but the best are made of briar pipes. Briar pipes are also called heather.

Briard - a build-up in the rhizome of heather growing in rocky soil difficult conditions of the Mediterranean. This build-up is a sapling for the accumulation of water, with the water absorbs and minerals, becoming very strong and fire-resistant. These properties make the ideal material for briar pipes.

Briard is harvested specifically for pipe makers. This is purified, washed and dried. Proper drying sets the correct properties of wood and its taste. If dried properly, there will be cracks, and if under-cured, the good taste of the tube will be. But this is fixable, briar may ripen in the form of finished products.

The preform is mounted on the machine twice. For the first time machined shank (this is what occurs with the mouthpiece), and secondly - herself a bowl of tobacco chamber. Moreover, if the tube is used to decorate the ring junctions with a mouthpiece, and it is in good tubes often used, and installing it is happening right at the machine, followed by reaming mortiza, the landing site of the mouthpiece. If you put the ring separately, turn microscopic cracks in the joints, and it is unacceptable.

Rings are mostly made from different kinds of wood, horn, bone, or precious metals. For example, in the US can not export products made of natural horn and ivory, they're guarded by nature. So it is necessary to replace these parts on acrylic.

At Alexander there is a reason for pride: polutorakilogrammovy "piece" of a mammoth tusk. Its owner lived long ago in the Yamal-Nenets Autonomous District, and then he died, and then the horn Soviet scientists found. Then scientists found Alexander :)

We continue to rough treatment blank tube. Excess ruthlessly cut off. Occupational health and safety no :)

Rough grinding lap. At the upper end of the shank can be seen that the most decorative ring, though not from the same mammoth and boxwood.

And here's an unpleasant surprise. A small cavity in solid wood spoils the whole picture. Cavern likely not be able to whittle away and the tube has not become smooth, and will rustrirovana. Harder cracked. If so, it often goes blank emissions. But this valuable material wood, mammoth or bone, and a few hours of work.

Also, without a future stay with blank cavities within the tobacco chamber. Basically, if a small cavity, then after a few months of smoking it and you will not find, but you can not sell a tube suffer the reputation Wizard.

A very important step - porting flue. Please drilled channel to the point of meeting with the tobacco chamber, and then select the camera. Moreover, the channel should go straight down the camera. If the bottom of the camera is below the outlet channel, the handset will not end was finishing up, leading to stagnation of resin and unpleasant taste and odor.

It took about five hours from the start of the work, and we did just blank. If cut spoons, would be called thumbs. Then begins the creative process of shaping. Done manually elapsed time is strongly dependent on the shape of the tube. On average, one tube takes three or four full working days.

We will not abuse the hospitality of the host, so go back to the ready-made tube.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. Mouthpieces same. They, too, are made of different materials, but is now considered to be a traditional hard rubber or acrylic. Alexander uses warm ebony tube. In the cylinder hole is drilled under the canal and pin, which will go into the wooden part of the tube. There is also need accuracy down to 0, 2 mm in the thermal gap.

And then the mouthpiece is shaped directly on the tube it is ground and polished.

After polishing the tube is treated by conventional stains, grind again, if necessary, re-treated with stains and again grind.

With paints tubes are not friends, only polished.

Alternating grinding with prokraskoy can achieve spectacular wood grain pattern, GRAINS.

The final touch - printing wizard.

Each tube shall be marked as master names, dates of birth of the tube and its quality. Each Tubifex its scale and in its sole discretion, he appreciates the tube.

Tubes "A" category, apparently, absolutely perfect, because in category "B" any stocks I have not noticed.

Each tube comes with a leather case. Sewn immediately by the same hands.

And here is the tube. I prefer smooth round shape, and someone like the look rustrirovannye longer. There are generally similar to hemp :)

"No, you did not shoot, it's my working tube and in general, there is a mess and so do not need to" :) Master can afford such a creative mess. There are no tubes made for themselves, rather it is a tube with a small marriage, revealed in the final stages. On any properties, except for aesthetic parameters, such a marriage is not affected, but the customer can not give a.

Source: zizis.livejournal.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting