Author detailed manner spoke about the housing, cars, laws and other interesting features in Dubai in a special interview.
- Sergey, could you tell whether it was difficult to remain to live in Dubai, and how do you and your wife brought back?
- Actually, at first we Olga arrived in Dubai on the ticket as tourists. Four months earlier she had come here and received an invitation to work in the field of retail sales. We planned that she would stay, and I come back to Minsk, but on arrival it was clear that things are not so simple. There were issues with her work visa, and had to quickly make a decision: either to look for work to me and make her husband-visa (in this case someone one spouse may have a work visa, and the second could be on his visa), or both fly back. We chose the first option, and I resigned from the Design Institute in Minsk, where he worked before the design engineer.
In general, to be in Dubai, not being a resident, only in three cases: either having a working visa (it is open until the age of 50 years), or having a property worth at least a million dirhams, that is about $ 273 000 (rate of $ 1 - 3.66aed, c 1971 rate unchanged), or having a registered company in his name. His company and one million dirhams at the time I did not have (and now too), fly back somehow already did not want to, and I began to search for work. It was not so easy, but in the end I got a good position in the field of sales and rentals of real estate.
- And what kind of work in general can expect in Dubai Belarusian or other Slav?
- Immigrants from the former Soviet Union are working here, as a rule, the waiter (boys and girls with an average knowledge of English, who arrived in Dubai recently, less than a year ago (salary of about $ 1,000, plus usually a house), or vendors in malls (mostly girls with good and very good English, which until this year had worked as waitresses, that is, it is as if "the next step" (the salary is usually around $ 1,800 without shelter).
In the labor market all niches are distributed very clearly nationality.
Absolutely all the taxi drivers and drivers - Pakistanis (salary about $ 700+ housing is very average quality), Filipinos - shop assistants, cleaners (salary is not exactly known, but it is clearly not high), all the rest - the Indians. Indians are generally very much: so much that India no longer wants to go to rest (even though I never once was). Indians work road workers, construction workers (about $ 800 salary and housing), security (salary of about $ 500, and housing), engineers (salary of about $ 3000), but anyone! They can pay very little (well, except for engineers), and they will still be satisfied.
So are the Europeans (as a rule, the British and Americans). They are prized above all: middle managers and senior executives, managers, architects, financial analysts and others with a salary of $ 6,000 to $ 20,000 per month (the so-called "white-collar"). It should be noted that, taking the same position, employees of different nationalities for the same work will receive different money. Immigrants from the CIS Slavic appearance in this hierarchy are somewhere between the Indians and the British. But the natives of the CIS nonwhite equal to Filipinos.
- Well, since you - the expert in real estate in Dubai, tell us how in this field situation with prices and services?
- Property in the most popular areas such as Dubai Marina and JLT, quite comparable with Minsk prices supposedly elite real estate (for example, the house at Trinity suburb), but unlike Belarus absolute norm here is the presence of the reception with the clock security, pool , gym (often separate for men and women), sauna, steam room's (double), a lounge area for holidays or business meetings. The house in which we live, there is still a large picnic area (with tables, barbecues, etc.). All this is free to the public. Pool, by the way, is heated in the winter, cool in the summer. Floating - do not want to!
Property prices in Dubai Marina and JLT is now about $ 3,000 per square meter. m. The area where the Burj Khalifa (DownTown), more expensive - about $ 5500 per square meter. m, at the very Burj Khalifa - about $ 11,000. Although there are areas in which a square meter can cost $ 1,300, and the negative of such housing will only distance from the sea (the Gulf). There, too, there will be swimming pools, and all the other amenities. In general, in Dubai it is quite possible to buy a good one-bedroom apartment somewhere in the $ 50 000.
My wife and our studio in JLT costs us about $ 1,000 per month + $ 100 (water and light) + $ 50 (with air conditioning) + $ 70 (online). The rental contract is always for the year (for this you must have a residence visa), payments are made by checks written out, and immediately you have to pay at least three months in advance. But the owner of the apartment under any circumstances may not, during the term of the contract to bother you (even to go to his apartment with a tour). The police in this case will always be on the side of the tenant.
Another great that having a regular income (receipts on account of your bank) and a visa, you can get a loan of 3% (!) Per annum for the purchase of real estate (which is very common) and if you want to sell the property at any time (not be sure to pay off the entire loan!). Sometimes there is a feeling that everything is just that and doing all around investors. All monitor the market, know the price trend. Many have several apartments. I, for example, had a client who had 40 apartments, and he did not even remember the floor, which was one of them ...
- With real estate understood. And what is in this wonderful region the price of everything else?
- In Dubai, there are no taxes, so some prices are very low. Cars (and new / used) is cheaper than us, on average, twice. For example, BMW X5 2008 is $ 23,000, Mazda-March 2007 will cost $ 5700 here. New Toyota Prado (the most popular machine here) - at $ 34 000.
Household and other equipment is much cheaper in Deira. Galaxy S4 I95054g - $ 543, Iphone 5 - $ 500, but you only get a guarantee in the form of promises to "fix, if anything." In malls prices will be more expensive, but with a guarantee. Very often, tourists from the former Soviet Union are buying coats (they are mainly Greek, but even cheaper than in Greece, because there is no import duties and taxes).
Prices in Dubai for the products by an average of 30-50% more expensive than ours. Dairy products twice as expensive, cheaper fish. From domestic products it can be found here Brest-Litovsk sour cream 500 g, which will cost $ 7, cottage cheese "Savushkin product" 500 g of the same or herring "Mathias" for $ 5.
If we talk about entertainment, then plunge into the winter, when it's 50 degrees and skiing the first ski resort in the Middle East «Mallof Emirates» costs $ 80 per person. Go to Ferrari World (theme park in Abu Dhabi) adult costs $ 62, a child - $ 45. Prices for medical services is different, depending on the level of the clinic, but they can be very expensive. Recently, it was a traffic accident near our house, so hospitalization of victims produced by the helicopter, which sat right on the road! .. More here regularly held concerts of international stars (from the Russian stage comes just pop). Supercars (Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc.) can be seen at intervals of a few minutes.
- Is there something that you are annoying in Dubai so far?
- Oh, yes ... It's absolute chaos in terms of organization of pedestrian traffic on the street and in the subway. No one sticks to the right, standing on the escalator. Indians and Pakistanis are beginning to enter the elevator or subway car before it went out of the passengers, and can stand next to the exit door of the train, it is not knowing that interfere with exit another. Is this some kind of a national trait, or something. Well, Dubai, of course, the city is absolutely not designed for walking sometimes simply are no sidewalks, multi-level road junction.
And the main problem here - the bureaucracy. It employs only local people, they are doing everything slowly, it is important to behave. For example, there can be all, and they chatted with each other. This has some similarities with our Board, and sitting there middle-aged woman with a perm. The only difference is that here you do not nakrichat, but otherwise the result will be the same. We, for example, faced with the problem, when the wife bought a mobile phone with the marriage, and the seller did not want to change it. Calls to the local Society for the Protection of Consumer Rights and the Ministry of Economy requesting to solve our problem with the seller took about a month, in the end it came to the Deputy Minister of Economy! He has appointed us to meet the seller in his office, listen to both sides, and in the end we just gave the money there ... - And whether there are strict laws? - You can not drink alcohol, kissing in public, it is necessary to observe certain rules during Ramadan (you can not eat or drink in public places). For the violation - a fine or deportation. - What is most proud dubaytsy? - Let's start with the fact that it dubaytsev meet in Dubai on the street, in the subway or bus is almost impossible: local - no more than 15% of the total population. They can be seen either in the malls (which, as a rule, come on weekends entire families for the whole day), either tinted glasses "Range-Rover." They walk in a perfectly ironed dishdashas (long white shirts). Traditional clothing women - Quandour (black dress with long sleeves).
All dubaytsy very proud of the status and position that Dubai occupies in the world. All the achievements associated with the name of Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed: it is really very fond of, but politics never say, and if they say it is only a whisper (about, as we have). Political opposition is not in principle. There's even a hint of the Arab Spring and the recent developments in Turkey and Egypt have not the slightest, although Yemen - only a few hundred kilometers. Everybody likes everything, everyone is afraid of losing work visa, so everywhere absolute cleanliness, order and security. And here is designed for people with disabilities 100% barrier-free environment. Bumps is not done before the crossing and directly on it, as a result of the sidewalk and the crosswalk located at the same level. The metro has a track with a special coating for the blind. In any commercial and business center with no steps have escalators and toilets for the disabled. Generally, in the streets and in shopping malls are so many people with disabilities and parents with small children. For them, there are all the amenities.
- Strong whether there is different from our nature, climate, flora and fauna? What kind of animals taken to keep the house? - Nature radically different! Dubai and surrounding desert. Each palm tree in Dubai and supplied with water for irrigation, because he is only 5-6 rainy days in winter. And winter is here - as our summer (+ 25-30). In summer the temperature reaches 50 degrees. As for pets, in expensive areas to keep dogs accepted (usually), and it says about your high status. In our area in the pedestrian zone every 200 meters there is the station for dogs (small booth with free bags, which can leave that reserve dogs).
The green areas of the city, such as Discovery and Gardens, you can see the huge green parrots. They fly right over the heads of how we pigeons.
Is there perceive immigrants of Slavic appearance as equals? What all such workers (and ordinary people) attitude? - In general, the atmosphere around is very positive, it catches the eye after Minsk. The ratio of people to each other is very friendly (regardless of nationality or income level), but the attitude of the people of Slavic and European appearance especially respect (in the subway male Indian could easily give way to a man-Briton). I had a situation when I got lost looking for the subway in an unfamiliar area, and I offered to take complete strangers for free, despite the fact that the car was very expensive, and its owners are very wealthy.
- Is it possible to emigrant here to do only the knowledge of the English language? - Dubai is fully angloyazychen English even know the cleaners. Good English and high personal qualities here - the path to success in any field, and one of English is sufficient. Knowledge of Russian in some situations, too, would be a good bonus when looking for work.
- Take care not here adequately for the poor segments of the population? Highly not here unemployment benefits, childbirth, whether there is a pension? - The poor local is not, in principle, there are local only the rich and very rich. The government helps its citizens from all sides. Accommodation is given free of charge or for an interest-free loan, which then may forgive. At birth, the child is given $ 20 000 to $ 50 000 or villa. The apartment is in the property, it is possible, for example, to pass. Education can be obtained free of charge anywhere in the world at the expense of the state. Men are paid monthly allowance of $ 2,000 just for the fact that you are a citizen of the United Arab Emirates ... and the amount of these benefits, and other privileges ccud just great! At the birth of her third child, by the way, all loans are canceled. So most of the local simply do not work.
In the country there are no taxes. But if a foreigner, for example, wants to open a business in Dubai (except for free-zones), then he can arrange his only local resident. A local resident will be the owner of your business (no part in it without taking), but you'll have to pay him every year a certain amount. Many local companies have dozens, decorated on them, and a lot of money.
- How are women and girls in Dubai? What they are basically doing?
- Women attending Kondurov, but in high heels, with a very bright makeup. Very interesting to see how a man is in front, and behind, all hung with bags Chanel, Gucci, Prada and Louis Viyuton, some of his wives. Their main occupation - a shopping and gatherings in cafes and restaurants. They have a lot of children, but give them a little time - are engaged in babysitting.
- What is the food around here? Love Is Here to cook yourself?
- Dubai - a multinational city, it's the same with food. There is everything from borscht to Thai cuisine. No, as a rule, do not prepare food at home, all eat fast food, order food or go to a restaurant.
Products can be ordered in stores: no minimum price may even bring a bottle of milk or ice cream.
- What kind of transport is popular?
- Metro is very modern, without a driver. There is a separate VIP-carriage and wagon for girls. At each station there are free toilet (it was removed every 15 minutes), whose appearance at the level of a good 4-star Turkish hotel.
Subway, bus, buses themselves constantly air-conditioned. Taxis are very popular, the minimum trip will cost $ 3. Well, absolutely everyone has a personal car that made buying new ones, to avoid problems with costly breakdowns. The loan on the car, you can take 4-5% per annum with no down payment at all.
- Is it difficult to stay in Dubai for permanent residence? You and your wife are considering this as an option? - In Dubai, there is no permanent residence status. Stay here only for the reasons I have given above. At the end of the working visa, you must leave the country. Sorry.
- In general, do you think, Dubai, with its oil sheiks, incredible artificially constructed island, etc. - is a paradise only for the rich or middling (including emigrants) also lives here not too bad?
- With a good knowledge of English, a good education and high personal qualities, you can earn big money. Living costs are higher than those that we are used to at home, but the income. A little complicated with the heat, but it is in any case better than the six months of winter at home. Well, here you live in a year-round resort, in a house with a good hotel infrastructure, you can always go to the beach or the pool and feel like a tourist, and not expatriate. So my wife and I believe that Dubai - is a paradise for all those who are lucky to be born here or find a job.