On her birthday, my mother announced that she wanted to bequeath the apartment only to me, then I thought that my brother would understand this decision.

How divide And not quarrel with all the relatives? It's not an easy task. Even the closest people, the closest ones, change their faces when it comes to the will. It is as if some deep psychological mechanisms are involved that prevent one relative from peacefully separating from another without quarreling over half a square meter of the old Khrushchev on the periphery.

And it's not about the money. Even wealthy people often quarrel with each other over the inheritance, the price of which they eat in restaurants for a week. Is the mood and morale worth it? Apparently, for someone, yes. Most likely, psychologists can tell you what the reason is. But for our heroes, this is no longer so important. They don’t talk to each other anymore.

Share the inheritance Zhenya no longer talks to me. Although he's my older brother. And I never meant to hurt him. I'm sure he's like me. But it turned out the way it did. And, to my deep regret, nothing can be changed. This is the beginning of my story, but it is also the end. I'll just tell you what preceded it.

My brother and I were born and raised in a small village. With mom, dad and grandma. It was a tough time, but for us kids, it seemed fantastic. The local school numbered several hundred students, and the teachers were a handful. Now I understand why they didn't try too hard to do their job, but personally, it only worked for me.

I would come home, eat, watch cartoons, and pretend to do my homework. That was enough. Sometimes we really had to write something, but in general we were at a long distance. But Zhenya, on the contrary, ran to the library, took books, studied. Then he argued with his teachers, which often affected his academic performance. I didn’t learn anything, but I would sit quietly and smile when I was praised.

So it turned out that my brother and I produced approximately the same result. Although he was much better at subjects than I was. Probably better than anyone at school. But what can I do? I should have kept quiet. On the other hand, he immediately went to the city to study. He passed the budget exams and walked away. I didn't even try it. I had a bigger problem: love.

And there came adulthood. Zhenya found a good job, moved to the capital. I never got a college degree, but I got married and had two kids. We all went our separate ways. And although my husband and I did not live richly and, you can say, all in a pile: we made an extension to the house of my parents. I felt happy and filled. That's what matters.

Zhenya, in turn, was looking for the perfect woman. Otherwise, he wouldn't be a bachelor. Live in a big city in a big bright apartment, almost in the center. Have a good job and all prospects. Not having a wife, not even a girlfriend? He was afraid of them at school, even though he wanted to meet them. But as an adult... It's kind of wild for me.

One way or another, time passed, and my mother, as always, was in a hurry to make another statement. On her birthday, which Zhenya once again missed "because of working moments," she expressed her desire to bequeath to me a house. The one we actually lived in. But it should be official and with all the documents.

I didn’t feel comfortable talking behind my brother’s back. But I looked at my husband, I looked at my kids, and I thought, "Oh, he won't understand." He did not intend to return to the village, it was clear. Benefits? Come on, he's probably paid more than half our village. What kind of conversation can there be?

But there was talk. And in high tones. Zhenya, as then in school, proved his rightness and that he was treated dishonestly and unfairly. Just a little more and I could see she was crying. Right in front of my mother. She also explained to him, son, calm down. We didn't even have time to start yet. No paperwork was filed.

But he didn’t calm down and just stopped answering the phone and stopped calling himself. An adult who is fully self-sufficient, let me remind you. I talked to my mother, and we decided to send all the cases related to the inheritance to the long box. It was not before that, and there is no need to spend extra money: I have children growing up, every penny is needed and the road. My mom doesn't have a royal pension. It would also be a good idea to repair it.

Six months later, I suddenly had a familiar name on my phone. It was a brother. In an agitated voice, he offered to meet in the center. As in the center, the city has its own center. In my case, it was an ordinary park, 100 meters away from which there was a small store where you can buy everything from bread to flour. I asked my mother to sit with the children for half an hour, and she referred that I was going to a friend.

My brother’s car was already on the roadside, and he offered to sit with him on the bench. Zhenya was no longer as ruffled as I remember him from our last meeting. We talked. He said he could no longer stay at his old job or even in his old apartment. He's stifling. So he moves abroad for permanent residence and does not want to return home.

He has already come to terms with the fact that his mother does not consider him an heir, but he always felt like something different, detached. And now he's making a big trip. He doesn't know what awaits him. But the patience to stay at home just did not remain. He bought me a chocolate, he didn't even listen to persuasion. I just got in the car and drove off, saying good-bye.

At home, I saw that the chocolate bar given to me by Zhenya was actually a neatly hidden bundle of money in the wrapper. $4,000. I don’t think I’ve ever seen or held such a sum. And he left them to me, apparently, so that I could manage them myself. His phone was not answering and his card was blocked. Well, it's all his style.

So now my brother and I can't talk. It is a shame because he was a very kind and generous person. I decided to fix my mom and put some money aside just in case. I did not say anything about Zhenya. I think she won't understand and she'll be hurt. I hope he finds what he has been looking for. And he will be happy, even if far away from me and my mother.

Tags

See also

New and interesting