Fraudsters shamelessly deceive simple gullible citizens, how to recognize them and not become a victim of fraud

Every day, attackers make hundreds of dozens of calls, trying to trick gullible people out of their money. And although it seems that statistics in this regard do not play into the hands of offenders, a huge number of innocent victims fall under their hot hand. But how do you spot a fraudster? We will answer this question in detail later in the article.

The main goal of any scammer is to get your money. Often fraud involves bank cards, and you will be called by a fake bank intruder. However, offenders are also evolving. So today, there are a lot of schemes that they work on. I wrote about this in more detail earlier.

According to statistics, only 5% of cases out of 100 are profitable for scammers. But that's enough to keep the attackers alive. According to the National Bank of Ukraine, in 2020 there were almost 72,000 cases of illegal actions with payment cards of citizens. In circulation was 86.4 million hryvnia. It's a lot of money.

Today, I want to dot the i on this sensitive topic. Let's figure out once and for all how to spot a scam on the phone. To do this, it is enough to know only 5 basic indicators indicating that there is a deceiver at the other end of the wire.

How to know if you are talking to a fraudster
  1. Fraudsters always call first. Every day they need to get in touch with dozens or even hundreds of potential victims. They work in offices similar to call centers. From there, attackers make phone calls, send SMS messages or write entire emails.

In the latter case, the letter can immediately send to the Spam folder. Modern phone models even numbers can mark, realizing that this phone number is not worth picking up. When something like this happens to me, I just don’t answer, but I immediately type in a Google search. Most often, they define it as unsafe.

2. The next step is data transmission. Fraudsters, of course, will try with all truths and untruths to extort information from you, thanks to which you can easily get your money. Under no circumstances and under no circumstances do this!

Remember that a real bank employee will never ask you to give him a CVV code from your card. He has no right to do that. Only you can know this data.

3. Every conversation with a scammer moneylessAlthough it may start with a different topic. But the bottom line is that your money is in danger and you need to save it. Well, for this it is necessary to carry out a number of operations, which can help with a good uncle in the phone. Don't buy into that kind of talk!
  4. You have to make those calls. They will try to confuse. You can hear a lot of stories and nonsense with which you will be intimidated. The goal of attackers is to locate the victim and gain trust in her. And all methods are good for that. So watch what you're being told and don't get emotionally manipulated.

5. During the conversation You'll be under pressure. To do this, the fraudster will certainly say that time is running out, the problem must be solved as soon as possible. Usually people at this moment begin to feel very worried and cease to reason.

If you notice at least one of these points, immediately hang up. And even better not to take it from unfamiliar numbers at all! Anyway, whatever the telephone conversation, always watch what you are told, and do not make hasty decisions.

Calls from scammers should be answered wisely. How exactly to do this, said my colleague Bogdan Stasyuk. I strongly advise you to read his article at the link.

Tell me, have you ever encountered fraudsters on the phone? How did this story end?

Tags

See also

New and interesting