Why transplant an orchid into a small block?

I want to share with you a story that happened to me at the beginning of last summer. At that time, I was lucky enough to own several orchids. They delighted me with flowering, and, it seemed, nothing foreshadowed trouble.

Sometime in mid-June, I went on holiday and left my green beauties under my mother’s care. Returning from rest, I found one of the orchids in a terrible state: all the leaves were yellow and barely held at the base of the plant. After a few days, they completely fell off, and the growth point began to slowly dry up.

In an attempt to save my green beauty, I had to go through a lot of information about orchids that were left without a point of growth. Suddenly, I came across advice about transplanting a plant onto a block of bark.

How to transplant an orchid

Deciding to try this method as soon as possible, I went to the flower shop for a suitable block. By the way, for transplanting orchids to the block, you can use the bark of cork oak, wood fern or pine. Armed with a drill, I made several holes in the bark and attached a metal hook to it.

With the help of soft insulated wire, I carefully fixed the orchid on a wooden block and put sphagnum under the roots. I hung the block right on the open balcony. It was the height of summer, and it was not worth worrying about the temperature drop.

It was often necessary to water the green beauty, as the roots of the plant dried quickly. Within a month, my orchid had thrown away some green leaves, and in the fall it blossomed wildly. There was no limit to the surprise: the plant without a growth point fully recovered!

When the cold came, I had to. plant The pot. It is a pity that our climate is not conducive to keeping these fragile plants on the block (except in a greenhouse). I hope my experience will be useful to you!

Our site is full of irreplaceable tips for happy orchid owners! Be sure to read how to properly fertilize these flowers.

Tags

See also

New and interesting