Why is the longing at the memories of the Land of Soviets

Sometimes it seems to me that all people living on the territory of the former Soviet Union are divided into two huge groups: the former love everything Soviet, and the latter hate such things. The values of modern youth rarely include longing for the past and nostalgia. Maybe that's how it should be?

I remember a time when I was terribly annoyed by absolutely everything Soviet. I didn't like dishes, interiors, furniture and so on. I wasn’t encouraged by the old generation’s eternal memories of a time when “it was better.” It wasn't better then. At that time, there were many limitations and very unpleasant elements of reality. There was an iron curtain that limited us. And nothing. The best Soviet ice cream. I could not change my opinion of the Union.

Over time, my negative attitude became neutral. I learned a few important things. Firstly, people who adore everything Soviet, for the most part spent their childhood in the USSR. And childhood is the magical period when everything seems almost a fairy tale. As a child, we do not have the burden of responsibility. They care about us and love us for nothing. Thus, it turns out that everything during this period is painted in a pink color. We idealize our environment, food, atmosphere.

For example, my childhood was in the 90s. And I love a lot of the things that I associate with that time. They seem to me so bright, pleasant and perfect. Although my parents don't think so. For them, the 90s were quite a difficult time of big changes, lack of money and unemployment. However, I still can not objectively consider those years, although I understand with reason that they were far from ideal.

I noticed a curious point that proves that love for everything Soviet is really just nostalgia for childhood and youth. Its essence is that people who are now living well and in need of nothing, do not burn with ardent love for the Union. They are much more pleased with the reality, the time in which they live now.

The reason for the vehement dislike of the USSR is often some of our qualities, which we do not like and are associated with something Soviet. Sometimes the cause can be a specific person that we do not like.. For example, you have a grandmother who terrorized you all your childhood.

By coincidence, she constantly recalls the Union and claims that life was much better there. So you don't like everything she says, especially all the "best thing in the Union" nonsense and stuff like that. In fact, you just don’t like the person. We tend to project our dislike of people onto what they like.

If you dislike everything that concerns the USSR, try to understand why this is happening. Perhaps it is not the attributes of that time. Ice cream was just like everything else. Yes, there were downsides. For example, the lack of any variety in goods, a lot of restrictions and in general isolation from the outside world. However, there were some advantages, such as stability.

Tags

See also

New and interesting