Truths for which it was worth living to old age

Old age is not the end of a bright life. It all depends on our worldview. On the Internet, I came across a curious account by a writer about things that people understand over time. Editorial "Site" I am happy to share the wisdom of a woman who meets old age with dignity. The concept of “old age” goes hand in hand with wisdom.

I realized that life was beautiful when I was 57. The number in the passport does not bother me, on the contrary, I am delighted with my age. I never thought I would feel so good in my old age. The topic of aging scared me a lot. The older I got, the more I felt like I was missing something important. Every day I was thinking about missed opportunities and wasting time on my plans.

On my 57th birthday, it dawned on me that this number is going to get bigger and bigger. In honor of my age, I decided to write a list of things I learned about by age 57. These are things you only realize with age. So every year, I decided to write down one thing I learned this year. I plan to write a long list, says writer Amy Selvin.

List of conscious things with age
  1. Growing up is a gift.
  2. I don’t need beauty injections to make me feel young and beautiful.
  3. I don't have to lose weight.
  4. Love and love are different things. Falling in love is fleeting, it may never grow into love.
  5. The worst boyfriends and friends are smug narcissists.
  6. Sugar is poison. It worsens the condition of the skin, and delicious cakes are not worth extra pounds.
  7. You don’t have to suffer to look feminine. Instead of heels, I choose sneakers.
  8. Shopping doesn’t make me happy, it’s art.
  9. Life gets better when you have a dog.

At any age, you can have long hair. And short tops are the prerogative of young girls. Some friends simply cannot be the best. Sometimes we outgrow some relationships and our paths diverge. Grey is great, but it does not go to everyone. Nobody likes being alone. A conscious choice to be alone with yourself bears fruit. I will never stop loving paper books. They're better than electronics, period. You never need to spare money for good books and good music. There's no excuse for lying. I despise hypocrisy.

Little joys should be allowed as often as possible. I will never live with a man who does not floss. Winter in New England is not as beautiful as they say. I'll never walk into a mall again in my life. Never. Animals are friends, not food. The meaning of my life is in art. I don’t want to waste a minute of my life on negativity. There is nothing fun about alcohol abuse.

You need to go to bed earlier. When I can be myself, I work much easier. Technology is not just for young people. There is no equal relationship. You have to be brave. A smile is the best thing a person can wear.

Shopping isn't reassuring. I only buy what I need right now. You should always say thank you. I will never vote Republican. I manage to enjoy delicious and beautiful food without taking pictures of it for social media. I'd like to meet Cheryl Straid and Patti Smith. What I think is right for myself, I will never impose on others. Name cake can only be eaten once a year. The best musicians are people of my generation. “What are you doing?” is never like “Tell your story.” You can never judge a person by their wallet.

Being a cheap person is disgusting. Life can only be lived once. Every day is unique. Life is very short and you have to enjoy it. Never expect a person to change. Always respect those around you. Always say no if you don’t want to do something. Never give hope with the word “maybe” if you know you’ll never fulfill a request. Respect the personal boundaries of others. Learn to accept rejection with dignity. Don’t get tired of showing yourself in different directions.

If you do a good deed, remain anonymous. I don’t agree with the phrase, “Do what scares you.” You have to listen to your instincts, they never fail. Arrogance is offensive, confidence is inspiring. There's a chasm between those concepts. Sarcasm is a defensive response. A beautiful complex speech does not indicate intellectual superiority. You can be smart in different ways. All you need is love, thanks to John Lennon and Paul McCartney. Always celebrate your birthday.

“These are the first things that came to my mind. I’m sure I can add at least thirty items to this list immediately, says Amy Selvin. What does your list look like?

Tags

See also

New and interesting