Resentment of the mother, or why modern youth miss anniversary feasts

Preparation for the holiday is always a fuss. In many ways, this fuss is pleasant: relatives and friends gather, in noisy company, everyone celebrates the celebration. Today we want to tell the story of a woman who was looking forward to her anniversary to celebrate it with her family.

I spent a week preparing for the celebration of my anniversary, I turned 60 a few days ago. I carefully prepared for the celebration, very much hoped that I would celebrate my birthday with family and friends. In connection with the quarantine, I decided to celebrate in a close family circle.

I live with my youngest daughter, Lena, for 30 years, but unfortunately she is not married yet. The eldest son is 40 and married. That's how I planned to celebrate: with my daughter, my son, his wife and daughter. I bought the necessary products, made a menu. I set the table chic: blueberries, baked meat, some salads, snacks, cake. I told everyone that we would be celebrating on Saturday so that no one planned anything for that day.

No one showed up on Saturday. I started calling my son, but he didn't pick up. I don't understand why this happened, but I was very upset. Instead of celebrating my birthday, I cried all night. I couldn’t look at the table, it was so hard for me to clean all the dishes and empty plates of those who didn’t show up. I tried so hard for my kids and they did it to me. Only Lena comforted me all night. I couldn’t stand it, and on Sunday I decided to go to my son’s house to find out why he did this.

I have been raising children alone since my husband went abroad to work and disappeared. My parents helped me buy a three-bedroom apartment, so the three of us lived together. When I was 30, my son told me he was going to get married. I let the newlyweds move in with us. I gave them a room, Lenochka was in the second, and I myself lived in the entrance room. It wasn’t easy, but I wanted them to be comfortable.

We lived a big family for 7 years, then a granddaughter was born, who practically grew up on my arms. A few years later, my mother-in-law passed away. We didn’t talk to her, she didn’t support me all these years. But somehow she left me her one-bedroom apartment. The apartment was in poor condition, so I did a major renovation. I thought it would be right to give this apartment to my son and daughter-in-law. That's what I did. Since then, we have been seeing each other less and communicating less, but holidays have always been celebrated with family.

But on the most important holiday for me, they did not come, for the first time. I arrived at 10:00 a.m., worried if anything had happened. I brought along the delicious food I had prepared the day before. A sleepy daughter-in-law opened the door and asked me why I had come.

When I came in, my son was still asleep. Then he woke up and offered to drink tea. I immediately asked why they did not come to visit me, because we had agreed on this in advance. I asked why they didn’t even answer my phone. The son said nothing, but the daughter-in-law answered for both. All these years she resents me for the fact that I gave them only a one-room apartment, and she lived in a three-room. There is so little room in it that there can be no talk of a second child. I don't know what to think now. I always tried to give them an apartment. But not big enough, it turns out ...

It is a pity that we sometimes do not suspect such serious things. All the time trying to please, people do not notice that gratitude is not worth waiting. Sometimes you have to take care of yourself first. And to draw conclusions when, instead of expressing gratitude, people become brazen. It's very sad when these people are your children.

Tags

See also

New and interesting