Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate
is one of the main tools in many homes for baking and cleaning, but it is likely that you do not fully use all its benefits.For example, did you know that the spectrum of medicinal applications of baking soda is extremely wide — from safely removing splinters from your fingers to routine dental cleaning?
Along with hydrogen peroxide, it is one of the most cheap and safe remedies, so it is wise to learn as much as possible about the many uses of baking soda.
Brief history of baking soda
In its natural form,baking soda is called "nahcolite" is a component of natural mineral soda.
Soda, which contains large amounts of sodium bicarbonate, has been used since ancient times. For example, the Egyptians used it as cleansing soap.
Later, anecdotal reports throughout history suggest that many civilizations used the types of baking soda when making bread and other foods that need to rise.
But the compound we know as baking soda, started to manufacture and sellDr. Austin Church and John Dwight
in 1846 only a year. To 1860 years, baking soda was mentioned in printed cookbooks, and in the 1930s was widely advertised as a "proven remedy". In 1972, the idea to keep a box of baking soda in the refrigerator to keep food longer fresh, and this idea really caught on... raise your hand if a box of baking soda right now should you have in the fridge!
Baking soda popularized brand Arm & Hammer more than 150 years ago, and although many people are aware of its versatility for use in cooking and in life, very few people realize that baking soda also has potent medicinal properties.Baking soda can help to cope with the cold
Some believe that adopted inward, baking soda helps maintain the pH balance in the blood; it is probably the basic premise of its recommended use against the symptoms of colds and flu. In his pamphlet "the Use of baking soda Arm & Hammer for medical purposes", published in 1924, Dr. Volney S. Cheney
talks about his success in the treatment of colds and flu with sodium bicarbonate:
"In 1918-1919, when together with the Ministry of health of the United States, we struggled with the "flu", I noticed that a few of those who took a lot of sodium bicarbonate solution were sick, and those of them who still were sick, provided immediate start taking soda, the attacks were invariably weak.
Since all cases of colds and flu I was treated first with generous doses of bicarbonate of soda, and in many, many instances within 36 hours the symptoms entirely subsided.
In addition, in my own house, the participants of women's clubs and associations of parents and teachers, I advocated the use of soda as a preventive agent against colds, with the result that now many reports that those who took "soda" were not affected, while nearly everyone around us was sick".
I'm not too sure how reliable optimization of pH in the mechanism of action of baking soda, because in practice I often use diluted hydrochloric acid intravenously is also help people nearly instantly recover from acute infections. Obviously, this is pushing the pH in the opposite direction, but, in any case, these two ways help – and this suggests that the mechanism of action may be associated not only with pH.
Reception soda is easy enough and relatively harmless, even if you do not feel relief of symptoms of colds. Simply dissolve the recommended amount of baking soda in a glass of cold water and drink. In 1925 the company Arm & Hammer recommended the following dosages for colds and flu:
11 ways to use baking soda for therapeutic purposes,
- Day 1 – take six doses of ½ teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in a glass of cold water, at intervals of about two hours
- Day 2 – take four doses of ½ teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in a glass of cold water, with the same interval
- Day 3 – take two doses of ½ teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in a glass of cold water, morning and evening, and then to ½ teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in a glass of cold water, until the cold symptoms disappear
You will be amazed at how many funds you can get haste from a box of baking soda handy. Among them:
- Pain ulcer: I personally recommend this to many including family members, and every time I wonder how effective it is. This is due to the fact that baking soda immediately neutralizes stomach acid. Need, typically 1-2 teaspoons in a full glass of water.
Baking soda is a excellent cleaning agent for the house
- Removing splinters: add a tablespoon of baking soda in a small glass of water and do the bath to the affected area twice a day. After a couple days of this treatment, many splinters will come out by themselves.
- Remedy for sunburn: add ½ Cup of baking soda in a tub of water at room temperature, and then immerse yourself in it to feel better. After that do not wipe with a towel – let the skin dry in the air for additional relief. You can apply a mixture of baking soda with water on a cool compress and apply it directly on the place burns.
- Deodorant: if you want to avoid parabens and aluminium which are found in many deodorants and antiperspirants, try instead a pinch of baking soda mixed with water. This simple pasta is an effective and simple natural deodorant.
- Improving sports performance: distance runners have long used "soda doping" — take capsules with baking soda before the race to improve the results. It is considered that this method functions similarly loaded with carbohydrates. Although not not suggesting you try this at home, but this is another example of properties of baking soda.
- Paste for plaque removal on teeth and gums: for an incredibly effective toothpaste for teeth and gums, mix six parts of baking soda and one part sea salt. Place them in a blender and mix for 30 seconds and then place in a bowl to use. Moisten the tip of your index finger and apply to the gums a small amount of the mixture of salt and soda. Starting from the top outer part of the gums, move inside, and then along the lower outside of the gums to the inner part, rubbing the mixture in your teeth and gums. Spit out the excess. After 15 minutes rinse your mouth. This mixture is incredibly effective in destroying bacteria.
- Insect bites: apply a paste of baking soda and water on the bites to reduce itching. You can also try rubbing the dry powder on the skin. It is also effective for itchy rashes and poison ivy.
- Tooth whitener: for a natural bleaching agent, crush one ripe strawberry and mix it with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Spread the mixture on teeth and leave on for five minutes. Then brush and rinse. Use this method no more than once a week, as excessive use could potentially damage the tooth enamel.
- Foot bath: add three tablespoons of baking soda in a tub of warm water is an invigorating foot bath is ready!
- Scrub: a paste of three parts baking soda and 1 part water can be used as a scrub for face and body. It's natural, inexpensive and gentle enough to use every day.
- Detox bath: soda and Apple cider and you have a great tub, in the Spa, which will help to relieve pain and provide detoxification. As a bonus — the water after it cleans the bath and sink!
well, putting a box of baking soda in the medicine Cabinet, don't forget to put another one under your kitchen sink, in the bathroom and next to the other cleaners.
- Well baking soda cleans the bath and kitchen. Pour it in a container with holes in the lid (for example, in a container of grated cheese), sprinkle baking soda on surface and scrub. Can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Lavender oil and tea tree oil have powerful antibacterial properties.
- Baking soda mixed with Apple cider vinegar is an all – purpose sudsy combination.To clean the sink, pour the baking soda down the drain and add Apple cider vinegar. Let the hissing and bubbling for 15 minutes, then rinse with hot water. It is a safe alternative to dangerous drain cleaners.
- To easily clean the food residues from pots, soak them in hot water with baking soda for 15 minutes.
- Soda will perfectly cleanse the grill.
- To wash toys, mix 4 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 liter of water.
- Baking soda can be used as softener, or to refresh the color of the clothes (add a Cup of baking soda in the washing machine).
- Baking soda is a natural carpet cleaner. Try it on the carpet, leave for 15 minutes and vacuum.
- To Polish silver without using toxic products, fill the sink with hot water, add a sheet of aluminum foil and baking soda, and lower back silver products, until they are completely clean. This is a simple and convenient way to clean silver.
- Sprinkle baking soda the shoes to remove the odor.
- If by chance the kitchen will glow fat, extinguish the flames baking soda. published
©Dr. Joseph Mercola
P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©