Secret knowledge: how not to be a career dead end

They work hard and don't understand why not moving forward. Or worse, they don't know what to do with my career. This is a very common complaint that we hear from people who feel that they are stuck in some point of the career ladder.

Sound familiar?

There is a small nuance that people rarely pay attention when moving up the career ladder: the difference between knowledge and meta -.

MetazaniaCareer success depends on two important factors. First, you should be able to do a good job. This requires knowledge. If you are a programmer, you must master the programming languages in which you are working. If you are an entrepreneur, you should know your market and how to maintain it. If you are a lawyer, you need to be well versed in the laws.

However, this is only the first factor. The second thing you need — metazania.

Meta-is the knowledge about how to perform your job, and about how a career in your field. That is, you have to know what skills you need to develop and which to ignore. Need to know how to demonstrate your skills to other people, to understand the types of signals that are important for career growth.

This second factor often remains invisible, and many people never understand how others succeed.

"I was upset because I thought that work well. But I've seen people who, in my opinion, did not work as well but enhanced. I worked hard, but nothing happened," — said faced with this problem Chris L.

How to get metazania?To gain knowledge about how career ladder in your business, it is not easy, but it really can change everything. Instead of guessing, you need to know exactly, what skills should invest, and what — not worth it. You should know what the position will serve as stepping stones for further growth, and which will be a dead end.

To get metazania, you need to work hard.

Knowledge that can be learned from school or books, which is why they are often lacking. You can get them from other people.

Communicating with people who are higher up the career ladder, comparing them with those who have not yet achieved success, you will be able to find out what skills and resources you need to develop.

Important point that might seem counterintuitive — shouldn't just ask the people of the Council. When you ask for advice, you often get vague, useless answers. Instead, you have to watch what the best people in your profession do it differently. Often, such observations can lead to surprising insights about what is really important for moving forward.

What to do if you don't know where to go next?Many people try to avoid searching for metazania, justifying this by the need to first decide what they actually want to do. They think that if you are not sure in which direction to go in your career, you need to understand yourself before you begin to work on their ambitions.

7 simple steps to financial freedom, Anthony Robbins

Rule 15 meetings: how to acquire useful connections

But this feeling of helplessness or uncertainty, lack of understanding where to go in your career, and there is a problem of metazania!

Considering several career paths and figuring out where you really like the work you will understand much better where to go, and what skills and assets will be useful for future career turns.published

Author: Scott Young

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Source: ideanomics.ru/articles/8342

Tags

See also

New and interesting