Choosing a diet, it is imperative to balance benefits and possible risks, which may eventually lead to serious health consequences. “People are so focused on losing weight that they are ready to do everything to lose weight, even that is not proven and potentially dangerous and that can lead to serious health problems,” says Michelle may, a dietitian specializing in nutrition. Here are six dangerous strategies of weight loss that should be avoided when maintaining a particular diet.
1. Fasting, very strict fasting or very low calorie diet Serious reduce the number of calories may lead to weight loss, but weight loss will include muscle loss, and lowering of metabolism. Drastic calorie restriction can cause a shift towards a higher percentage of body fat that increases the risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes type 2 diabetes. Without consulting a doctor don't cut calories lower than 1200 a day.
2. Dietary supplements and other means, promising lightning effect If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is so. Unlike makers of prescription drugs, companies that make supplements do not have to prove that their products are safe or effective before you start to sell them. Beware of loud promises! If you think you begin taking any remedies for weight loss, consult first with your doctor.
3.Detox diet At best, with their support, you will lose weight you through the loss of water. And it can be dangerous. Such diets carry the risk of dehydration, electrolyte imbalance and more. “The loss of large amounts of fluid without medical supervision is very dangerous," says Michelle may. Instead of "detoxification", please be more careful about what you eat. If you want to withdraw toxins from the body, drink plenty of water and eat foods high in fiber.
4. All forms of "purification" of the body Cleaning involves the artificial induce vomiting and abuse of laxatives. “These unhealthy and unsafe methods of weight loss is not uncommon among young people. Such methods cause serious health problems and are the first step in the development of eating disorders,” says Connie Diekman, dietitian, Director of nutrition at Washington University in St. Louis.Gastric juices have a high acidity. “Acidic vomit can cause erosion in the esophagus and mouth and even damage tooth enamel. This can increase the risk of certain cancers and tooth decay. Regular cleansing through vomiting or abuse of laxatives also causes excess fluid loss that can cause serious dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.
5. Extreme physical exertion Extreme exercises are good only for shows. But in the real world, it's not the best and not the safest way of losing weight. Too high loads increase the risk of injury, dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, and psychologically perceived as a punishment for food. Recommended to do no more than 30 minutes moderately intense cardio exercise 5 days a week, or 20 minutes of intense cardio exercise 3 days a week. Some people think that bigger is better and go far beyond what is safe for health. Be moderate exercise and more than likely that you will carry them for a long time.
6. Smoking we All know that Smoking is dangerous to health. But some people, especially young people, uses them as a means for weight loss. Nicotine has been shown to really can suppress appetite, but the harm from Smoking far outweighs any possible benefit. Smoking harms almost every organ is the cause of cancer, and cardiovascular, respiratory and other diseases and reduces the health of smokers in General. In addition to the many drawbacks to health, you need to consider that after Smoking cessation may increase weight. Therefore, do not smoke in any case, and especially in order to lose weight.