Age selection "improvements" pure breeds has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed animals.
The opinion that pure-bred dogs have special properties, and generally look prettier. But recently in the Internet appeared the pictures from the book, 1915, V. E. Mason "Breeds of all Nations" (Breeds Of All Nations by W. E. Mason) that demonstrate how over the last century has changed the kind we all known breeds of dogs. You can clearly see how a century of breeding work on "improving" the species has had a deleterious effect on the appearance and health of purebred dogs.
1. The bull Terrier was a handsome sporting dog. No ugly muzzle and pendulous abdomen. New skull shape led to the emergence of dental problems and progressive deafness. In addition the dog has a congenital dislocation of the elbow and frequent sunburn.
2. The comparison shows that bassethound became much lower, while his ears much lengthened in comparison with a dog at pictures of 100 years ago. From reducing back feet the dog got even more back problems and hip dysplasia. Because of this, the animal is gaining weight, which only aggravates her illness. Permanent eye problems from glaucoma to entropii (Cherry eye). Maybe big ears and look cute, but the dog they bring great inconvenience.
3. Modern boxer now has more problems with overheating due to the fact that the face was even shorter and more upturned than before. The shortening of the muzzle for example leads to problems with teeth and hearing. Many puppies are born deaf in one or both ears. Often entropion (volvulus century). There are several disorders associated with the preservation of their appearance – aortic stenosis and arrhythmogenic cardiomyopathy of the right ventricle, hypothyroidism and bloating.
4. English bulldog star safety advertising posters of the times of London – turned into a real monster through breeding. Today it is one of the most painful of dogs. Actually there is no such thing as a healthy bulldog: hip dysplasia, congenital dislocation of the elbow, hypoplasia of trachea, dermatitis, skin folds, brachycephalic syndrome, entropion... keep rocks made it impossible for childbirth without medical intervention. The average life expectancy is only 6.25 years old.
5. Even the German shepherd, which was often the benchmark of a “real” dog, is degraded. In the book “Dogs of All Nations” describes the standard 25-30 kg. Today it is much potjazhelevshie dog. Away from problems with the spine and hind legs. Dysplasia of the elbow and hip joint, intervertebral disc disease, lameness. As well as diabetes, cataracts, and various tumors. Once the dogs of this breed were able to take the barriers with a height of 2.6 metres, but now the croup is lowered, the dog became awkward and the chest is sticking out of the wheel, respectively the German shepherd has no such physical indicators.
6. Pugs received a gift from man tail, which is two times more twisted than before, which, according to Musculus can lead to paralysis. The shortened muzzle and wrinkled skin often lead to overheating. Pugs, like all brachycephalic have a huge problem with breathing and are prone to respiratory illness. Shortened snout always leads to dental problems and infections of the skin folds on the face. They are characterized by obesity. Pug encephalitis is a genetic disease. The symptoms of this disease are convulsions, disorientation, blindness, coma, and death. However, pugs can suffer from epilepsy that is not related to the encephalitis.
7. The strongest changes were Saint Bernards – once downed, athletic breed, now has a lot of problems with overheating and are more prone to various diseases. St. Bernard much added weight. The same elbow dysplasia and hip joint, patellar luxation, bloating. It is often congenital deafness and epilepsy. In addition, breeders greatly increased his skin. Because of this, the dogs quickly overheat. With all the ensuing consequences. Cataracts, cherry eye, ectropion and entropion century.
8. Photographs of the Dachshund show how severely disturbed the proportions of the legs and body of the animal compared to last, which means greater risk and susceptibility to diseases of the intervertebral discs. Taxes have decreased hind leg that immediately gives problems with the legs and spine. Taxes are much faster to gain weight. Problems with intervertebral discs may make the dog cripple.