Children who Shine from within

"What's your favorite insect?" asked a seven year old daughter when we went for an evening walk on the first day of her spring break. – You can't pick butterfly. Everyone chooses a butterfly", she added before I could reply.

"Hmm, I thought out loud. – Well, then, perhaps, ladybug," finally I replied.

"And I have a Firefly. I love fireflies," she said thoughtfully.

We walked and walked. Talking. Enjoying a rare treat to be alone – just me and my youngest daughter.

And suddenly:

"But am I normal? I mean, with me, all right? – she asked, looking at his feet. – Sometimes I feel... different from others".

I immediately stopped and found her face. Without asking what she meant, I knew it. I just knew it.

I leaned over and spoke, pulling painful memories hidden away since second grade. "When I was your age, I also felt too different from others. I was shy and felt uncomfortable. And one boy said very ruthless things about me. He said that I don't fit, don't belong to them. His words hurt me for a long, long time," I said.

She looked at me sadly, her previous words echoed in my head: "Everyone chooses the butterflies."

I put my hands on her sturdy little shoulders as if somehow it helped her to feel my words physically. "I want you to say something. You can always talk to me when you're uncomfortable and you feel different from others. I'll never laugh. I will never judge you, or say that it's not a big problem. I will never dismiss your feelings because I understand. I remember how much it hurts. And sometimes you just need someone to understand the pain."

"I love fireflies," she said a minute ago, and I realized that this is something that she can rely on.

"You said you love fireflies, I reminded her. And I think you look a lot like Firefly. You know why?" – I asked.

Concern flashed on her face. And she looked at me with hope. "Why, mom?"

"Because you Shine from the inside,' I said, touching her heart. – Not everyone can see it but I see. I can see that. And it's my job to protect this world. So when people say something that inhibits it, I want you to tell me. I will protect your light by listening and loving you, my brave, courageous, and unique little Firefly."

My daughter stepped forward and hugged me. She still never said a single word. Maybe because she was on the verge of tears. Maybe because of the silent support is all that she needed in that moment. I didn't know. But what I can be sure that the story is not over.

Flying weeks, and I couldn't stop thinking about our conversation. The end of the school year can be difficult for kids, especially the Fireflies – those who are lit from within.

It's time for awards, banquets, recognition and applause. Butterflies will be noticed. So shiny. Such bright. Their talents are so obvious. But let us not forget the Fireflies. Their triumph is quiet and unremarkable. Their gifts may remain altogether unnoticed.

Firefly can save the place in the bus, that someone didn't have to go to a frightening back row.
Firefly might be a songwriter that composes music during night dreams, and sings of her day.

Firefly might be an artist who creates paintings that connect you with your soul.
Firefly can years to save the money and just wait for his heart will tell him: "Here's someone who needs your help."

Firefly maybe instead of sleeping is something to calculate, under a blanket, because he was born a mathematician.
Firefly might be the IT kid of the school who is looking for the chance to help teachers in their troubles with the computer.

Firefly can get lost in the cloud of flour, while enjoying the culinary arts.
Firefly may be the rider who will find peace in the company of animals and nature.
Firefly can swallow 357-page book in one sitting.
Firefly may have a lonely look, looking for someone who will notice him if he will become invisible.

Firefly can intercede for the lost, the rejected, the lonely.
Firefly can be lost, rejected, lonely... looking for someone who will pay attention to his light among the bright flutter of butterfly wings.

Maybe you know a Firefly. Maybe you like Firefly.

If so, please don't wait. Don't wait for someone to hand him the award or give her a certificate to make them talents and gifts "official." This day may never come. So tell it to them now.

For example, like this:

• I can see your light.
  • I can see it when you take your guitar.
  • I can see it when you make brush strokes of yellow, green and Golden color.
  • I can see it when you sing with your eyes closed.
  • I can see it when you laugh with his mouth wide open.
  • I can see it when you're standing at the water's edge, dreaming about the future.
  • I can see your light, my brave and courageous Firefly.
You glow from within.

And regardless, does it anyone else or not, you know he's here, and I know that he's here.

• So continue to Shine.
  • Keep humming.
  • Go on to create.
  • Keep dreaming.
  • Continue to add, subtract and multiply.
  • Keep your sensitivity.
  • Keep your magic.
And just wait. One day the world will see what I see. And your light will be so beautiful, be so beautiful and bright that the world will stop and wonder whence comes this light.

And you and I will know this light...it was there all the time. Because you're a Firefly. You glow from within. And I'm here to protect this world, my brave and courageous Firefly. published

AuthorRachelStafford(Rachel Macy Stafford)

Translation Of Anna Levchenko

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Join us in Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: alpha-parenting.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting