Mummelsee and cicarija. Read all!

I work with teenagers on a short-term ten-day courses. My pupils are the senior pupils of St. Petersburg schools (sometimes there are students from other cities — from Moscow, for example — brought especially to us for lessons). Social snapshot — the middle class, children of law-abiding citizens, to stand firmly on my feet (teaching 10 lessons — we have is the average salary for Peter).

At the end of each course, at the 10th session, we conduct a written survey of students, where they answer the most basic questions: what was the name of the last Russian Tsar, what is the capital of Belarus or Estonia, who wrote "the Song of wise Oleg", who was IN the war and when, name three musical groups, etc.

When this learner says that this is a short test on the horizon (in the sense of intellect, — it is necessary to clarify, as not everyone knows what "horizon"). Yes there are some "horizons" — the vast majority of high school students find discouraging lack of education not only in the realities of the world, but not understand the meaning of the seemingly ordinary and simple words.

In the older group of 15 people (age 14 — 16 years) only two people knew the meaning of the word "dependent", the rest answered the question, who is this:" warrior"," naughty", "he who lives alone", "the person who mideval", "who does not obey the laws", "who escaped from prison, who is hired by the bandits", "early bird", "Brett — so — Bret somassage" or simply "don't know" to put dashes instead of answers they were forbidden.

I wrote that almost none of the students do not understand the word "backwards" (please come up with a phrase with that word write "raining backwards", "come back", etc.), practically nobody knows the words "red", "crimson", "cyan", "crushed", and yesterday it turned out that, just like almost no one in the senior group, please note, does not know what the word "Deaconess".

The direct question, "who or what is this" in response was a tense silence had to offer answers. One chose the answer "priest's wife", the other replied: "it's a hole in the ice on the river", "the pit at the construction site", "bullet".

And the second option about the pit chose six people. No attention, no one was able to explain the meaning of the word "loophole". Answers: "it is when you open the mail and parcels", "it's cage at the zoo", "old junk car", "this is when you shoot from a lot of people".

About who the last Russian Tsar, opinions were divided: the majority believes that this "Peter first or third," a little less than that "Ivan the terrible", someone that some "Dobrynya" (in fairness, I note that for the "Dobrynya" voted student of the middle group — 12 years old, sixth grader).

The absolute majority, that is, without exception, do not know who wrote "a Song about prophetic Oleg". This question is asked and the middle and older — there is no difference, although 6-7 classes should know — they have this software work in the fifth grade was. One and all make big eyes at the audience is concerned about the noise and all the facial expressions that they are asked who invented the atomic bomb. Yesterday's answers (excluding "don't know"): "the peasantry,"" Nestor the Chronicler "a writer" and "composer of the Great", "musician", "no", "Church people", "Viktor Tsoi".

The author of the last reply (12 years) I do not really know who Choi — heard only, that he "sings", and when he lived to learn from him is impossible, since to the question "do You think that Choi lived before the revolution?" the student can't answer, because they do not understand what it means "before the revolution"; answers: "Well, probably... I don't know...", and in an attempt to establish that this beast is "revolution" only shrugs.

But his classmates surname "Choi" hear for the first time and did not know who it is. None of the middle group (12-13 years) never heard the word "press", and only the expression "yellow press" and the more. It caught him when I was vocabulary dictation. I saw that one of them says is "press" — "kreso" and asked whether he understands what it's about. It turned out that without knowing these words, he did not hear and did not think, what it is. When I asked, he tensed, and thought confusedly murmured: "the Plant is probably a tree of some sort... don't know!". It turned out that all the others don't know either, although written correctly.

In the older group still have this question: "Mandelstam, Kollontai, Babel — who is the woman?". Of course, these names are all hear for the first (and probably last) time in my life. Although often come across people with the "red branch", and there is a street Kollontai, but this solves nothing: about the street-that they may hear, but not able to correlate one with the other. So I answer at random, and, of course, the most popular answer, a woman's Babel.

These three names sounded to them like total gibberish, though read clearly, loudly and in complete silence. Still in their transcription they look like this:" Mandel Stamp Imagelistall", "Mandanten", and yesterday was our Rolodex, supplemented variant "Mummelsee". For the middle group yesterday had to adapt: "Falafel, Barto, Puhto who is the woman?" So, the answer Barto (though it was not written Barto, and Burto) was the only one. Five wrote "Puhto (option — "Pahto"), most chose the answer "Falafel" (one — "Palapeli").

There is a myth that supposedly "kids" ("kids" even, one might say) but well versed in new communication systems and so on. Alas, on social networks, applications, and toys it is for many, very many to find in the Internet the necessary information is a big problem, and sometimes it is correct to enter the desired address group VK is not able to.

We noticed that the question "Who invented the social network" they themselves can not answer, need answers. Of the options proposed: Zuckerman, Zuckerberg, or Zukerman Tsiskaridze? And what do you think? What this question everyone knows the answer? As it is not so. Meet at random and hit and miss.

But our last acquisition: along with Zukermann and Zuckerman yesterday we had (group of 6-7 KL) Sucer son Zackariya. The authors of these answers (and others too) did not even understand the meaning of the question. Another new: the capital of Belarus — Ukraine, Turkey, Kiev, Belgorod and Estonia — Mexico. The Chukchi live in the mountains, in the forest, in the Needle, in cold countries where Tajiks in the East, in huts, at the North pole.

And one wrote that there are such people — "this is Bret" (the same one who answered the question about dependent). And that his wife is "barrel water" of the two options, he made one.

The most frightening words you can hear in the boy

Mom was also mom

The Soviet Union collapsed, Stalin, Putin, Lenin, Brezhnev, Hitler (some people write "Germans"). But that war was with the Germans, too, know not all. Date one of them (a student of the 8th grade, 14 years old) indicated 1941-1998 and the other 12 years between 1710 and 2005. But the question most answers correct.

Nobody knows how is called the sacred book of the Muslims: "In Christianity, the Bible, and in Islam?". Dashes can not be set, so I write: "Muslims", "book", "money" Karant", "Mangystau", "Buddha", "prayer", the "anti-Bible", "history", "scrolls", "Alah", etc. yesterday And the collection was enriched with a response of "Carmen" (answer 8th grade student).

In the end there are questions of "blitz": favorite book, favorite movie, the dish, and so on. Among the dishes are in the lead sushi, pizza, tiramisu, and questions about the book and the movie almost all of the answers are "no." published

Author: Natasha Romanova

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Source: www.facebook.com/redheadlg/posts/728977160507433

Tags

See also

New and interesting