Bogomolov wearing 3D glasses to prove the existence of insects stereoscopic vision

Where's my popcorn? (photo: Newcastle University) i>

Praying to announce systems pictures got 3D glasses, and completely free. This insect also showed 3D film (though not "Avatar"). This is done in order to prove the existence of stereoscopic vision in insects that evolved independently of the vertebrates. Yes, monkeys, cats, mice, and even frogs have stereoscopic vision - it has long been proven. In most vertebrates such type of view. But the insects? How can you determine the type of view they?

To obtain reliable evidence, scientists at Newcastle University have decided to take a kind of insect with the most advanced visual apparatus and excellent response. This is a praying mantis (by the way, they are also the only ones among the insects, who can turn his head in different directions as they wish). To work with mantises was created an interesting technique, the main element of which - 3D glasses.

Initially, the scientists decided to use polarized 3D glasses, about the kind that get the audience in the cinema. But the experiment failed, because the soothsayers were too close to the screen, and 3D effects are simply not working. After that, it was decided to use a spectral 3D glasses - roughly the previously used in movie theaters. Well, because the soothsayers see badly in the red spectrum, use the green and blue lens. Naturally, the problem is still fixing points on the head of a praying mantis.

For this mantis cooled, making it nearly stationary and the lens fixed on the head of an insect with a mixture of beeswax and resin spruce.

praying mantis lucky - got a front row i>

Then the insects were sent to watch films in the cinema volume for arthropods. There they were shown computer-generated images of various objects. Colours varied objects. Result? Mantis very actively reacted to the appearance of bulky objects around them, trying to grasp the "victims" with grasping forelimbs. Result? The existence of stereoscopic vision in insects (at least at the praying mantis) is proved.

It would be interesting to check also other insects, such as dragonflies or butterflies.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/268964/

Tags

See also

New and interesting