The site has collected a list of questions, each of which sounds too simple to believe that the answer may still be a mystery. However, since it est.1. Why do we have fingerprints? Some scientists have developed complex computer models to understand how impressions are formed, but why evolution has given them to us, it is not known anything.
In the world there are few families with a strange genetic disorder called adermatoglifiya - these people have no fingerprints. In addition, they are much less sweat, and the rest - are no different from all the others. The researchers hope that the study of these families and their genome will help unravel the mystery of evolutionary fingerprint.
2. How do probiotics? Probiotics - kind of beneficial bacteria living in the human gut. Advertising yogurt with probiotics sounds like manufacturers have created something very important for health, but, first of all, each of us, and so there are probiotics, and in sufficient quantities, and secondly, why they are needed - is still unclear. It is clear only that there is no harm from them - that's good.
3. Why do we have different blood groups? Scientists are well versed in the "operating principles" of blood groups, but we still have no idea why they are different and why they need it.
Blood groups are classified by antigens in the cells of the blood, but why do we need these antigens? We can assume that they have some relation to diseases and immunity. It is believed that they appeared as a way to combat infectious diseases, but it has not been proved.
4. Does the brain remains active after decapitation? There are many legends about how people beheaded within minutes after death are in the mind. Sounds, of course, interesting, but in reality we do not know how long the brain can remain active in this situation and whether at all. Explore the difficult question as to behead people can not even for scientific purposes.
Dr. Gabriel Boro described the case where the eye to the guillotine severed head of a man opened on time to focus on a certain point. The doctor came to the conclusion that some of the functions will remain active for almost 30 seconds after the beheading, but he was unable to determine whether preserved in this consciousness.
5. Do people have pheromones? Animals, when it comes to reproduction, they rely on the smell of pheromones partner. Because of this, researchers are trying to figure out whether pheromones play a role in human interaction. The more responses we get, the more entangled. Many studies have shown that odors affect on people certainly, but with pheromones nothing is clear. While the sensitivity of people to them - a theme more studied women's magazines than scientific research.
6. What happens when someone struck by lightning? The prospect of getting hit lightning looks awful, but, oddly enough, most people survive in such a situation, some even remain completely unharmed.
To find out what happens when lightning strikes in the human, the scientists went to South Africa, where a thunderstorm with lightning occur more frequently and are stronger than anywhere else in the world was. They found that lightning in a special way passes through our bodies, but what is happening at this moment, clearly did not.
7. As a woman may not know she was pregnant? Some women are unaware of pregnancy until the birth. No, they did not feel the changes in the body movement of the child, monthly did not stop, did not appear overweight. Just once they became very sick stomach and after a couple of hours there was a child.
Such incidents happen too often to blame everything on the lies women. For example, a patient of Dr. Sabrina Suhan even worked in the medical field, so I knew all the signs of pregnancy, but had no idea that she was pregnant until birth. It is worth mentioning that usually happens to women who have significant weight, so that the growth of the belly they could simply not pay attention. Nevertheless, however.
8. How do the mitochondria? Mitochondria are an essential part of our body, they make us all consumed food into energy. For a long time we did not know about the mitochondria is almost nothing but science is close to an understanding of how they work.
More recently, scientists have discovered that the mitochondria really like calcium, but if they do it "overeat" it can lead to problems such as diabetes of the second type. Furthermore, they have made a catalog of proteins, which are made from the mitochondria. Misty information, but still better than nothing.
9. Why the ear consists of three stones? How do the ears, basically understandable. But not all species are the same. Stanford researcher Sunil Puria noted that the reptiles and birds ear consists of two bones, and mammals - they are three. Why - is unknown.
The best theory is based on a strange disease called "syndrome of unsheathing the front semicircular canal." This disease can lead to a decrease in tissue in the ear canal, whereby people begin to hear sounds that are usually not taken, like punches own heart. Doctors suggest that perhaps a third ear bone is needed in order to reduce these effects to a minimum, but more research is needed.
10. What kind of bacteria live in our languages? It turns out that the tongue - it's just a storehouse of secrets. Doctors all over the world want to get the bacteria living on it to examine them as detailed as possible, but most of these bacteria do not grow in a petri dish, so to classify and understand them very difficult.
This lack of understanding - the biggest stumbling block in the treatment of gum disease such as periodontitis. Doctors do not know really how to treat because bacteria, because of which there is periodontitis, a lot, and we know too little about them.