Peter Higgs learned that he was given the Nobel Prize, from acquaintances who met on the street

The modest scientist hid from glory to Shotlandii

name of the British physicist known to all who are interested in the achievements of science: Peter Higgs, together with François Englert predicted the discovery of an elementary particle, which was later called the Higgs boson. For brilliant scientific insight physicists were awarded the Nobel Prize, with Higgs learned about it from members of the Nobel Committee and the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, and from the familiar, which met in Edinburgh, when he returned from lunch.

Higgs and his colleagues from the European Center for Nuclear Research in Geneva (Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire, or CERN) about 50 years devoted to the study of the properties of "God particle", which determines the mass of other elementary particles. He began to develop his concept in 1964, published two scientific papers, which proved the existence of the so-called Standard Model (the theoretical structure of fundamental physics) "God particle».

In 2012, the existence of the Higgs boson has been experimentally confirmed in laboratory CERN, although, as he said later Nobel laureate, he did not expect that the theory will be proved during his lifetime.

When Peter Higgs once again nominated for the Nobel Prize (the first time he was nominated back in 1980), a modest 84-year-old scientist went to Scotland, because I wanted to avoid all the fuss. On Tuesday, October 8, 2013, the year Peter quietly dined at a restaurant in Edinburgh and headed home, having met on the way his former neighbor, who reported the professor glad tidings.

During a press conference, the scientist said:

«I think in the near future I will again have to experience the attention of the public and the press, even more than in 2012, when CERN announced the opening of a boson. I must remind you, though, we received a prize from the Engler, together with us for many years worked for many great scientists, unfortunately, some of them did not live up to this perfect day ».

blockquote> Higgs entered the history of physics, along with such brilliant scientists like Albert Einstein, Marie Sklodowska-Curie, Max Planck and other researchers whose work defined the development of science for hundreds of years to come.

via factroom.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting