Solar eclipse from the air and from space

Photo: Paul Alekseev.

While the majority of people in Russia tore past diskettes and demonstrated its sky fluorography, I raced over the Norwegian Sea at an altitude of 11 km at a speed of 750 km / h and tried to hold in their hands the whole photo equipment, which recklessly took a flight. In the village of Mordovia Ruzaevka radio amateur R4uab suggests antenna from your garage to the satellite Roskosmsa "Meteor-M №2». Samantha Cristoforetti astronaut floating in weightlessness International Space Station, trying to capture a rare astronomical phenomenon. And just so we could see the eclipse differently than a month in the bright sky.

I frankly lucky enough to be on board the aircraft company Nordavia, flying from Murmansk-eclipse-Murmansk. Just initiator and organizer of this mission was my friend Stas Short, an amateur astronomer and popularizer of science-intensive observation among amateur astronomers, the admin group Vkontakte & quot; observational astronomy & quot ;. He first offered the best places in the windows professional astronomers and experienced amateur astronomers, and then officially announced about the upcoming flight. Says dismantled all the tickets 12 hours.

See the full phase of the eclipse was only possible with the Faroe Islands, Svalbard, or water / ice of the Arctic Ocean. Or from the air. Flying convenient by the fact that reserves Offers below, and nothing prevents observations ... In theory.

We must honestly admit that I took the opportunity to fail. Gallery Sea done, but as one - the dregs. It turned out, shooting through the multi-layer, double-glazed window frosty - a challenge that is difficult to solve in 2 minutes observing the eclipse. Fortunately, on board were more experienced photographers who have made high-quality photos that convey the spectacle.

Still flying up to Murmansk night before trying to shoot auroras, upon receiving bad.

Generally trip prompted the idea that it is time to update your equipment, it was found that the most successful shots taken on a smartphone.

On board were a lot of familiar faces, known by their online activity. In the red jacket - Igor Tyre group administrator Live stile Astromomy , you can see the light behind him, both literally and figuratively, the head of Alexander Smirnov, the group administrator Astro Channel and video blog . Right from the back seen himself Stas short, sleepy, unkempt and tortured.

The plane was packed to capacity photo and video equipment, photographers and videographers.

Eclipse expected around 13:20, but still soared at 10:30. We had to go to the starting point, that everything went as planned. Flight was painted almost second by second, to give the opportunity to see the heavenly sight to all, not just lucky in the portholes on the starboard side.

Breaks in the clouds is encouraging that rare to clarify Murmansk, still give the opportunity to stay on the ground to see the eclipse. But passengers are increasingly concerned about the band frost forming on the window. And, as it turns out is not accidental.

I did my best to get ready in the Observer.

But the first test wingtip 500 mm telephoto lens showed that the shooting of the plane it is almost useless. Too much "soap».

The cabin seemed aircraft commander Boris Zotov. And he immediately attacked journalists. KBC said that the aircraft can fly without GPS, which does not work well in the circumpolar regions, and about the inertial orientation system.

Following the journalists attacked on KVSa boys and girls wishing to get his autograph. According to the captain, is with him for the first time.

The first phase of the eclipse went to the left side, I could only do a few shots on the smartphone through borrowed someone's glasses with a special film.

The first test showed a problem with frost on the glass.

And the people in the salon was preparing to complete.

The plane banked and flawed sun for the first time peered into the windows starboard. It seemed that darkened the horizon in the distance - it looks like there was a lunar shadow.

Test "camera obscura" - a piece of cardboard caved and projected beam in his chair. Little bunny showed phase of the eclipse.

Moon's shadow on the clouds of ever more clearly. Will soon catch up.

Photos smartphone through the welding mask. Again frost destroys everything.

Shadow approaching.

Another turn and now the sun looks exactly portholes starboard.

Despite the fact that the moon is closed for more than half of the sun, the eyes can not be determined even a drop in brightness, not something to consider phase. Through the welding mask can be seen well, but unsuccessful attempt to take a picture again.

The only more or less, a good picture on the camera with a telephoto lens. In other moments layered double glazing gives many, many months, smeared across the frame.

Sun closed at 90%, but the shot without protection does not show differences from normal daylight, but the clouds below the aircraft are brownish.

Nakonts happened! The eyes see the solar corona, but the automatic smartphone can not cope with the task, and peresvechivaet.

Spot metering gives a reasonable picture, which is a poor excuse that eyes have seen.

Attempting to remove the solar corona at telephoto expected fiasco:

Fortunately, on board were more experienced and trained More Photos, so we can see what happened with them. Photo Paul Alekseev , with his consent, can be seen in the title of the post.

Stas shared his catch:
Perhaps the frame closest to the fact that the eyes have seen. Without the lens I threw a couple of views out the window, and it turned out to be the most vivid impressions of the two-minute eclipse.

large size.

The solar corona. Gorgeous photos, but in comparison with the ground, how much glass window and small aircraft vibration reduces sharpness shooting.

Here, for comparison, a photo from the ground.

Photo: hu Huiwei

And we go out of the gloom

Finally experimenting with a smartphone, the camera stuck on the disk from the floppy, and shot through the welding mask. Phase seen better, but no harshness.

The neighbors borrowed a few frames 100-300 mm lens. Realized that I needed to take something like that.

Organizers presented all shirts on memory.

Reduces and admire the snow-covered hills.

Murmansk meets.

And treats.

In general it was incredibly cool. Tried and Stas and staff Nordavia (other airlines wringing some incredible prices, and only Nordavia realized that the flight will not only pay for itself, but also bring a powerful PR), and other participants of the event, which I do not even know.

Oh, and do not forget the main motive for which Stas started this whole campaign.

As an astronomer can get to the main line of "Komsomolskaya Pravda"? Открыть 50 asteroids, comets and a few supernovae for it a little. We have to do something more outstanding! For example:

In general: advice and love, but new achievements in heaven and on earth!

Meanwhile, away from Murmansk, and heavenly romance, a radio amateur from Mordovia Dmitry Pashkov , using a homemade antenna, and self-trained technicians able to download eclipse photo with meteorological satellite Roscosmos. Spacecraft "Meteor-M №2» removes with a resolution of 100 meters with a height of 650 kilometers. On its frame we see on the left coast of Greenland, from top left of center - the island of Spitsbergen, Norway at the bottom right. All the Barents Sea between Spitzbergen, the Kanin Peninsula and the New Earth covered the shadow of the Earth's natural satellite. Somewhere on the photo and we fly away, but the plane in such a resolution can not be considered.

At first I thought, "Damn, the guy hacked Roskosmos!". But then he Dmitry explained that nothing criminal in his actions there, and getting shots from the satellite, time-consuming, but the actual process that подробно painted on his website.

Eclipse from space rented and Italian astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti. Several shots she posted in her Twitter :

Sunrise eclipse.

Private phase:

"Progress" and the shadow of the eclipse.

It is possible that one of the aircraft condensation trails, leaving a shadow - a trail just our plane.
More shots from the other members of flight can be found at the hashtag #eclipseFlight in different social networks.

To stay informed about upcoming interesting astro-space trips, tours or expeditions, you can subscribe to the Community Short Stas Intellect Tour .

Source: geektimes.ru/post/247648/

Tags

See also

New and interesting