Young people do not know how to repair equipment

Many people, especially those with a technical education, experience the pleasure of opportunity to fix any broken thing in the house. However, such a pleasure unknown to the younger generation of users, пишет The Telegraph, quoting a professor at the University of Manchester radio frequency equipment Danielle George (Danielle George).

Professor says that today's youth is different consumer attitude to things. They expect that the thing "just works" and do not have a clue what to do in case of breakage. Unlike the older generation, if the thing broke, just throw it and buy new.

Danielle George believes that many broken or outdated gadgets can be easily repaired, having the basic knowledge in the field of electronics and engineering. To promote their ideas professor reads a series of Christmas lectures entitled "sparks will fly: how to hack your house» ( Sparks will fly: How to hack your home i>). She hopes to inspire the younger generation to think about what you can do with everyday household things.

Among the ideas - the use of a magnifying glass and a box from under the shoe to turn your mobile phone into the projector. Or how to use the foil to fit too small battery into the slot with the contacts. How to turn a bottle of water into the lamp , how to manage the fireworks from a notebook, send text messages using the grill, turn the smartphone into a microscope to go to the Internet using a flashlight, turn the washing machine in the wind turbine to collect the Rubik's cube using the designer "Lego", etc.

Professor Daniella George i>

"We lost a whole generation that grew up on the electronics factory - says Danielle. - Most of these things in our homes seem to work all the time, and because they do not break, we just get used to them. They are almost as black boxes that will never die. And when that happens, we throw them and buy something new. But now formed a large community of "makers» (maker community), who are thinking about what to do with all these gadgets. They rework them and used for another purpose. I talked to a guy who used LEDs on the bike as a signal of a message is received while driving ».

In recent years, appeared on the Internet dozens of sites maker-community. People share ideas, how to hack electronic gadgets and find a new use for them.

"The current generation of young people is in a unique position - the professor says. - Everyday technology improved at a phenomenal rate, and our society has never been a more suitable position for the manifestation of creative and innovative abilities. I think every person has the potential to become an inventor ».

Christmas scientific lectures organized on the model of the famous lectures inventor Joseph Swan of Newcastle, who showed the public the world's first light bulb in 1878. They are broadcast daily from 29 to 31 December on BBC at 20:00. Do you love to fix broken things?
Yes No Voted 1745 people. Excused 220 people. Only registered users can vote in polls. Sign , please.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/243673/

Tags

See also

New and interesting