Extraction of honey

Summer - hot time for beekeepers. My father in law - an amateur beekeeper, faithfully related to your hobby. Even as a boy helping his grandfather and then his father to care for the bees. Now he is my grandfather, and teaches her grandchildren to comprehend the science of beekeeping.
This year both our son is almost on a par with adults working in the apiary. I'll show you a photo essay of one working day from our apiary - a day when we pumped the honey.
Our apiary is situated on the edge of the forest (Chuvashia, Yantikovsky District) in an apple orchard about 100 km from Cheboksary. Bees have a place to roam - around many forest and wildflowers (near kolkhoz fields), and of course apple and limes.

So, we begin to work: father in law opens the hive and selects shoplifting frame. The shop is called extension of the hive, which are narrow frame. This extensions installed on the season of honey collection. Frames that are in the hive, called the socket, and are in the store - shop.
For the pumping of honey taken those frames in which the honey in the comb is sealed - closed with wax caps. This means that the honey is ripe. According to the rules, can be selected for pumping cell sealed by more than one-third. While some authors argue that the frame must be completely sealed, and should stand in the hive sealed 7 days. In practice we have and it turns out - at the time of selection, almost all frames is completely sealed. And then it can not delay - due to lack of free memory locations for placing of nectar and processing it into honey bees can reduce the honey harvest. Instead of putting the hive selected frames of honey which has pumped empty or pre-prepared.

Her husband works at this time smoker: let Frames stream of smoke to the bees are gone from the store to the nest. Remains on the framework shake bees in the nest, and a frame with honey put in a portable box.

In this hive - a strong family. Bees have worked well: the cell is completely filled with honey, sealed and further built up.

This frame weighs a half - two kilograms.

Further work to begin our in-law: he brings in a wheelbarrow carrying a box with honey frames for pumping in a special room, where he was waiting for us with his sons.
My job is to unsealing sealed honeycomb bee knife. I cut with a knife caps that honey can be extracted on the extractor. The blade of the knife should be hot, otherwise the cut will turn rough and may even break the cell. Here is the result of my work.

Then print the frame set in the basket extractor. Narrow frame shop installed two in one basket. Cart 4, then for one load can deflate 8 stores frames, and just store them 14. And the sons begin to work. When the drum rotates, a centrifugal force arises which pushes the honey from the cells to the walls of the extractor, from which it flows to the bottom. At first it is necessary to rotate the drum slowly and then, gradually increase the number of turns of the handle. If you overdo it, the centrifugal force can break frame itself. So sometimes you have to pump out the honey three to four reception - rotating frame of one or the other side for a uniform load. Especially be careful when pumping honey from freshly cells that break easily. Experienced "medogonschik" may in appearance and weight of the frame immediately determine how many tricks to pump it out and at what speed. The eldest son has earned the title of experienced - now teaches little brother.
As you fill the honey extractors, honey is poured into special containers.

On this day, we worked on an apiary 12 hours, and sometimes it has to work two days - all weekend. That's not counting the daily work of her father - he does not miss a single day, not to visit the apiary, despite its substantive work. Hot time in the apiary lasts all summer - first you need to prepare the bees to honey collection follow the swarming, then - to pump the collected honey, and at the end of the season - to prepare the bees for winter.

--img10--

Source: tani-rt.livejournal.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting