Make games in virtual reality

A month has passed since the launch of our escapes Ruma , in which we used the Oculus Rift. When I saw what happened - while being written and knowing everything in advance, happy as a child. There are times when you experience something like out-of-body experience, and it kills you.

Here and above - screenshots from BP in escape-room of "Cyberpunk» i>

Unexpectedly discovered that we are the first company in Russia, which has finished a game product for BP. Our developer has already ordered sensors for tracking body PrioVR and STEM , and our next game will be held entirely in BP.

Sergei, a developer conference Digitale (02.06.14. SPb) i>

Now about the technologies.

Costumes h5> Now there are several technologies in development, the closest to the output of the system seem PrioVR and Sixense STEM. PrioVR Set includes 17 trackers (3 tracker on the limb).

STEM supports up to 5 sensors on one player.

Both systems provide realtime tracking the position and orientation of the sensors using different technologies and approaches. STEM is wireless, which is of course much more convenient.

We plan to try both, report on the results of Habré.

There are "bike path» Omni, to allow the game to run in the woods and meadows.

But we do more interesting symbiosis of virtual and live games, so we'll start with an empty room. Man dressed in a suit, enters the room. The only thing that is the same in both virtual and reality - a wall. All the rest - at the mercy of our imagination.

It is also possible to track the position of various objects in the room by using the optical tracking, or additional sensors. Then you can pick up and move the real thing while watching them in a virtual space, in whatever form!

Especially nice show Oculus girls i>

Now imagine what you can do, having the few costumes. I look at his friend, and I see that it has a lion's head. He shoots me a fireball. I fought back the sword. Next to continue?

Players in the moment of passage of the escape of Rum "Cyberpunk» i>

Our next game h5> Wait, when we will be at the hands of the suit to test it and to understand - we will not, and better washed down another game.

In it, we will definitely be available hands, and thus will be involved Razer Hydra or Kinect. problem with fixing the body in space, we decided quite gracefully. Let's just say, this time it will not escape-room, but the task of the player will still get out. Location - still a secret.

Another piece of BP i>

What is a good game in the BP? H4> recently been useful post about Oculus + Hydra + Unity3d. As the author said, Dimones , «if these games do you need to think through every detail."

We have felt it well, making our escape-room of 4-10 sessions per day (one session - it's one hour to have the team to get out of the room). When the little details (such as the specificity of the genre, a large number of parts interfere with play) - each paying attention.

Impressions of our virtual showroom escapes i>

Ironically, among the demos for Oculus Rift not many examples to illustrate this understanding. The roller coaster that gave rise to the famous shopping center of SFII, frustrating quality graphics. Beautiful as the demo is not interactive. Exceptions in the form of games developed specifically for the Oculus Rift - there, but they did not seem to.

This means that developers now a lot of punch, moving in all directions. And that's good. We develop new space.

player in the "cyberpunk» i>

Someone abuts on the thrill (roller coaster Helix), someone - on interactive (SledgeRift, where you need to collect coins, rolling from the mountain on a sled), someone - on the atmosphere (beautiful room Tetris Apocalypse), someone - the plot (complex cyberpunk adventure TechnoLust).

In the "cyberpunk", you can chat with one of the real prototypes AI i>

In my opinion a good game at this stage is to combine the ease of operation and understanding (which lacks the same TechnoLust) and good drama (see. Asunder: Earthbound ).

Tu BP, what we did in our escapes showroom - we maximize organically woven into the live game, and get a good story about the struggle with artificial intelligence. In the end, you can save mankind. Or not to save. It's your choice.

And what you want to play you in a virtual reality?

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/225347/

Tags

See also

New and interesting