Presentation of the commercial version of the helmet Oculus Rift 1.0

In I quarter. In 2016 the company Oculus finally begin selling head-mounted display Oculus Rift. On the eve of E3 game show she spent last official presentation of the commercial version of this gadget. So, meet, Oculus Rift 1.0 .

Helmet Oculus Rift has come a long way from a crowdsourcing campaign Kick (just think, it took place already in August 2012, almost three years ago) to the finished commercial product.

Successfully raised $ 2, 4 million, the company released the first prototype to developers (DK1). It aroused great interest among the public: it sold 56,334 copies in 116 countries around the world.

The second version of DK2 become even more successful: it sold 118,930 copies in 137 countries.

At презентации He made co-founder and CEO of Oculus Brendan Iribe (Brendan Iribe). He talked about the features of the commercial version of the helmet Oculus Rift 1.0, it differs from the last prototype for developers.

Brendan Iribe. Photo: Techcrunch i>

In addition to the optimized design and weight, skin pleasant to the touch fabric, one of the differences of the commercial version - a new system for tracking the player position in space, with the new camera-sensor, which is installed in front of the player at the table. The whole package Oculus Rift is shown in the bottom of the slide. Right - gamepad on Xbox One, the left - the camera sensor to track the movements of the player. The helmet is integrated three-dimensional sound audio system (removable attached to the helmet headset, it is possible to replace them with their own).

Photo: Techcrunch i>

You can play while standing and sitting.

The slider on the inside of the helmet helps to tune in to the exact distance between the eyes (pupils) Player for the full effect of 3D.

Photo: Techcrunch i>

Oculus Company entered into a partnership agreement with Microsoft, and will deliver head-mounted display, complete with wireless controller Xbox One. By the way, recently released a new version of these gamepads with advanced functionality (for example, Controller firmware update over the air).

In cooperation with Microsoft, the operating system Windows 10 will have native support Oculus Rift, a helmet will be broadcast games Xbox One.

Brendan Iribe promised that in future it will be possible multiplayer game, where a group of players in the VR helmets are together in the same virtual world.

The head of the gaming division Oculus Studios Jason Rubin (Jason Rubin) said at the presentation, which games will be available from the start of sales. He was invited to the stage director studio CCP (developer of the space strategy EVE Online), which is now working on a space VR-first person shooter EVE Valkyrie.

EVE Valkyrie. Photo: Techcrunch i>

There was also a presentation of the RPG-games from the studio Chronos Gunfire Games.

Chronos. Photo: Techcrunch i>

And adventure thriller Edge of Nowhere by Insomniac.

Edge of Nowhere. Photo: Techcrunch i>

At the E3 conference promised to show even more games.

Oculus company at the presentation expressed support for independent game developers. A special fund of $ 10 million to support them.

In the end, the company Oculus has presented another novelty - a pilot Oculus Touch controller of its own design.

The controller Oculus Touch. Photo: Oculus i>

The controller Oculus Touch. Photo: Oculus i>

This gadget accurately tracks the position of the hands in space and allows you to manipulate small objects in the virtual world: pick up objects from the ground, pointing the finger, palm to hold items etc.

So far, the Oculus Touch is in the prototype stage, the development is not finished. It is not known whether he will be available, along with head-mounted display in the I quarter. 2016.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/251882/

Tags

See also

New and interesting