Locusts tornado

Portuguese wildlife photographer has photographed a unique moment - there comes the countryside north of Lisbon locusts created column, like a tornado.
Ana Philip Scarpa was in Vila Franca de Xira, when she saw stretching into the sky black column, which she initially took for sandstorm. But soon she realized how wrong. Pillar height of more than 300 meters proved lively and consisted of a red hungry locusts, went in search of new selhozugodiy.

"At first I thought that it was a tornado, as the animals around me were very excited. I was away from home and was afraid that I will not find a safe place, but hung in the sky "tornado" to me and has not reached ", - said in an interview with photographer Mail Online. When Philip realized that she is not threatened, she got into her car and decided to drive up close to understand the nature of the strange phenomenon. Approaching she realized that terrifying tornado is actually a huge swarm of insects. "I think that would be better if it was a real tornado than a locust invasion" - she said. Photographer admitted that she is very glad that was not in the vicinity of insects. "I can not imagine what could happen to me if they caught me," - she shared her perezhivaniyami.

According to Phillip, a pillar of insects towered 300 feet above the ground. At a distance of about 400 meters from the deadly swarm woman made pictures using 200-mm lens. Red locusts can have a devastating impact on the developing world, where, because of its invasions without food may be left 15 million people. To combat this threat, the United Nations has established a special group, whose mission is to fight against the red locust in Southern and Eastern Africa. Voracious beetles can travel more than 32 kilometers a day, devouring crops. UN data show that a ton of red locusts can eat per day is the same amount of food as 2,500 people. The United Nations develops and applies special schemes for reducing the population size of this species of insects down.

Source: vasi.net/community/budushhee_pugaet/2014/05/19/smertonosnoe_tornado_iz_saranchi_nakrylo_portugalskuju_derevnju.html

Tags

See also

New and interesting