Cmert in the mountains ...

Many people know that the conquest of peaks is deadly. And those who are raised, not always come down. Woe to the die and beginners and experienced climbers.
But to my surprise, not many people know that the dead remain where they caught fate. We, the people of civilization, the Internet and the city - at least strange to hear,
that the same Everest long ago turned into a cemetery. Corpses on it and did not find no hurry to lower them down. Recently, I told this to his friend, so he did not believe me.
He said that this can not be left to lie to people where they are caught death.
But in the mountains a few other rules. Good or bad - not for me and not judge from home. Sometimes I think that they have very little human, but even as a five and a half kilometers,
I was not feeling too well, so, for example, drag to imagine anything under fifty pounds in weight. What can we say about the people in the death zone - the height of eight kilometers and above.
Do not be lazy, especially for those who still do not believe in the dead on the mountain, I found some memories mountaineers and documentary evidence conquest only one peak - Mount Everest.

Everest - a modern Golgotha. Anyone who goes there knows - he has a chance to return. Roulette with the Mountain. Luck - bad luck. Not all depends on you. Gale-force wind, cold
valve on the oxygen canister, wrong timing, avalanche, exhaustion, etc..
Everest often proves to people that they are mortal. At least the fact that when you climb you see the bodies of those who have never destined to go down.
According to statistics on the uphill climb of about 1,500 people.
Stayed there (according to different sources) from 120 to 200. Can you imagine? Here is a very revealing statistic until 2002 for the dead people on the mountain (name, nationality, date of death,
the place of death, cause of death, whether got to the top).

Among these 200 people, there are those who will always meet new conquerors. According to various sources on the northern route is open eight bodies lying.
Among these were two Russian. From the south, is about ten. And if you move left or right ...
I'll tell you just about the most famous losses:

"Yes, in the mountains lie hundreds of corpses frozen from the cold and exhaustion, fallen into the abyss." Valery Kuzin.

"Why do you go to Everest?" Asked George Mallory.
"Because it is there!»

I am one of those who believes that Mallory first to reach the summit and died already on the way down. In 1924, a bunch of Mallory-Irving started the assault. They were last seen with binoculars in the clouds break only 150 meters from the summit. Then the clouds came together and climbers disappeared.
The riddle of their disappearance, the first Europeans left on Sagarmatha, excited many. But to find out what happened to the climber, it took many years.
In 1975, one of the explorers claimed to have seen some body away from the main path, but did not fit, so as not to lose power. It took another twenty years to 1999, when the boom slope of 6 high camp (8290 m) to the west, the expedition came across a lot of bodies killed in the last 5-10 years. Among them are found Mallory. He was lying on his stomach, prostrate, as if hugging the mountain, head and hands were frozen into the slope.
The video clearly seen that the climber and a large broken fibula. With such an injury he was unable to continue the journey.
"Rollover - eyes closed. So, do not suddenly died when broken, many of them remain open. Down did not - and buried there. »
Irving was never found, although tying Body Mallory says that the couple were together until the very end. The rope was cut with a knife and possibly Irving could move and leave a comrade died somewhere down the slope.

In 1934 he made his way to Everest, disguised as a Tibetan monk, an Englishman Wilson, who decided to cultivate one's prayers will power enough to climb to the top. After unsuccessful attempts to reach the North Col, abandoned its accompanying Sherpas, Wilson died of cold and exhaustion. His body, and he composed blog were found by the expedition in 1935

Known tragedy that shook many occurred in May 1998. Then the couple died - Sergei Arsent'ev and Francis Distefano.

Sergey Arsent'ev and Francis Distefano-Arsent'ev spending by 8, 200 m three nights (!), Started the climb and summited 22/05/2008 18: 15.Voskhozhdenie committed without the use of oxygen. Thus, Francis became the first American woman and only the second woman in history, to climb without oxygen.

During descent, the couple lost each other. He went to the camp. It is - no.
The next day, five Uzbek climbers were on top by Francis - she was still alive. Uzbeks could help, but it will give up the ascent. Although one of their friend has gone up, and in this case, the expedition is considered successful.
On the descent met Sergei. Said they saw Francis. He took the oxygen balloons and went. But disappeared. Probably blown by strong winds in the two-kilometer gulf.
The next day, the other three are Uzbeks, three Sherpas and two from South Africa - 8 people! Approach to it - it is already the second cold night spent, but still alive! Again, all pass - to the top.

"My heart sank when I realized that the man in the red and black suit was alive, but it is absolutely one at a height of 8, 5 km, just 350 meters from the summit - says British mountaineer. - Kathy, without thinking, turned off the route and tried to do everything possible to save the dying. Thus ended our expedition, we were prepared for years, begging for money from sponsors ... We were not immediately able to get to her, although she lay close. Move at such a height -the same thing as running under water ...
We found her, trying to dress a woman, but her muscles atrophied, it looked like a rag doll and all the while muttering, "I'm an American. Please do not leave me "...
We dressed her two hours. My focus has been lost due to penetrating to the bone rattling sound, torn ominous silence, - continues the story of Woodhall. - I realized that Katie is about to freeze to death itself. We had to get out of there as soon as possible. I tried to lift Francis and carry it, but it was useless. My futile attempts to save her jeopardize Cathy. We could not do anything. »

Not a day passes that I had no thought of Frances. A year later, in 1999, Kathy decided to try again to reach the summit. We did it, but on the way back we noticed teloFrensis horrified, she was lying exactly as we left it perfectly preserved under the influence of low temperatures. Such an end no one undeserving. Kathy and I promised each other to return to Everest again to bury Francis. To prepare a new expedition left for 8 years. I wrapped Francis in the American flag and put a note from her son. We pushed her body in the open, away from the eyes of other climbers. Now she rest in peace. Finally, I was able to do something for her. & Quot; Ian Woodhall.

A year later, the body was found Sergei Arsenyev: "Sorry for the delay with photographs of Sergei. We definitely saw him - I remember the purple feather costume. He was in a position as if bowing, lying just behind Dzhohenovskim [Jochen Hemmleb - historian of the expedition - SK] "implicit edge" near Mallory primernona 27,150 feet [8254 meters]. I think it's - it. "Jake Norton, member of the expedition in 1999.

But in the same year was a case where people are still people. In the Ukrainian expedition guy spent almost the same place as an American, cold night. Its lowered him to the base camp, and then helped more than 40 people from other expeditions. Lightly - four fingers removed.

"In such extreme situations, everyone has the right to decide whether to save or not to save a partner ... Above 8000 meters you fully occupied itself and it is natural that does not help others because you do not have extra powers." Miko Imai.
"Can not afford morality at an altitude of over 8000 meters & quot;
In 1996, a group of climbers from the Japanese Fukuoka University summited Everest. Very close to their route were three climbers in distress from India - exhausted, zaneduzhivshie people were in high-altitude storm. Japanese passed. A few hours later all three died.

Highly recommend to read the article members of the expedition to Everest from the magazine GEO «Nadine's death." About greatest catastrophe decades on the Hill. About how because of a heap of circumstances, killing eight people, including two team leaders. Later on the author's book was made into a film "Death on Everest».

Scary video channel "Discovery" in the TV series "Everest - for gryanyu possible." When the group finds a freezing man takes it to the camera, but only interested in the name, leaving to die alone in an ice cave.

"The corpses of the route - a good example and a reminder of what we need to be more careful on the mountain. But every year more and more climbers, and statistics corpses will be added each year. The fact that in normal life is unacceptable, at high altitudes is regarded as the norm. "Alexander Abramov.
Body on the way to the top:

Tags

See also

New and interesting