Dancers among us

New York photographer Jordan Matter created a project in which dancers from the troupe performed the Paul Taylor Dance partisan in the famous places in Manhattan.

Michelle Fleet, Library of New York. (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

Dancers perform their intricate pas among ordinary people in everyday situations. Thus Jordan wants to emphasize the presence of talented people among us. "I was impressed by the talent of dancers Paul Taylor. With the help of his friend, I was able to bring to this project, young boys and girls, "- says Jordan. Photo: John Heginbotem, Central Park. (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

"I thought about the economic crisis and what it could mean for talented people who could lose their jobs. Do you think a dancer, if you do not pay for it? Do you think the chef if you do not have a kitchen where you can cook? It's all about ordinary people walking on the streets of this incredible talent that could advertise their abilities at any time. Dance - they are an integral part of, they are always the dancers. " In the photo: Arianna Bickle on Madison Avenue. (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

Trying to light up the dance in ordinary everyday situations - whether in the subway at 42nd Street and the Museum of Natural History - Jordan wants the photos looked organically. "After the drama of the photos I wanted to explain how the dancer would react to rain or behaved in a shop« Apple », or would just drink coffee." Photo: Jeffrey Smith at the train number 2. (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

Photographing dancers in normal situations, the team Jordan stumbled upon some problems "in the Museum of Natural History guard asked us to stop." Photo: Alice Drew at the Museum of Natural History. (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

"We want each frame was spontaneous as possible, so that in some places we go without permission. People always react cautiously to the flash of cameras and think that something is going on - good or bad. Once we photographed in St. Patrick's Cathedral during the service directly, and we put out the door. But the Museum of Modern Art guard was delighted. " Photo: Selina Chow front of a painting of Jackson Pollock at the Museum of Modern Art. (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

"In the shop« Apple Store »we had 30 seconds before the guard politely asked us to leave the room." Photo: Tenealle Farrager the store «Apple Store». (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

Photos Jordan depends on the reaction and participation of the public. "I like it when the shot with the dancers come face ordinary people. They can express everything - from indifference to joy, and this is one aspect that I would like to highlight - these people inspire others and may cause a smile on your face. " Photo: Teyk Ueyama, 5th Avenue. (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

Jordan can make up to 100 pictures before you get the desired shot. "To get this shot of a girl dancing in the rain at the store« Macy's », it took me 96 shots. She jumped on his heels in the wet, but it was not easy. " Photo: Annemarie Mazzini at the store «Macy's». (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

For his next shot, Jordan plans to get on the New York Stock Exchange. "I want to take a photo of the dancer in a jacket that will jump at the same time solving the important issues on the phone." Photo: Ivan De Leon on the steps of the post office 34. (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

Adrianna Hayes in Fort Tryon Park. (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

Michelle Fleet at the «Columbus Circle». (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

Tenealle Farrager in the confectionery «Carnegie Deli». (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

Michael Trusnovets, West Village. (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

Jake Szhipek at the Central station. (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

Jeffrey Smith, the sixth car. (JORDAN MATTER PHOTOGRAPHY / BARCROFT USA)

via source

Tags

See also

New and interesting