Volga - SUV

12 photos
CPSU General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev wanted to get
domestic car hunting. So a "Volga GAZ-24-95»,
the ability to overcome any off-road.

Brezhnev was a keen motorist. His garage has dozens of cars
a variety of brands. Almost all of them were either exotic or made
by special order. Among auto Secretary General wormed and domestic "Volga GAZ-24» -
also, of course, is not simple. According to eyewitnesses, so Brezhnev
I loved it, which is often preferred to other cars of his "harem."

As you know, the secretary general not only loved cars, and he was an avid hunter. A plant at that time was going to produce a new "Volga GAZ-24." Learning from predsovmina Alexei Kosygin that turned a comfortable unpretentious car with a comfortable lounge and reliable heating, Brezhnev wanted to buy a car for your garage, "to drive it on a hunt." Soon, the plant has come state task: to create a road vehicle with the parameters of comfort and appearance of the new "Volga".

"Because we have nothing like that in the production and development was not
not planned, we just decided to do: connect "dvadtsatchetverku" with
jeep "GAZ-69", which took the front axle, gearbox
and gimbal - says deputy chief designer of GAZ Vladimir Nosakov appointed responsible for the "Brezhnev" project. - Get the highest-wheel drive "Volga" on-road tires, which could overcome and virgin snow, and the roads, and even fallen trees. "

At the time when the "Audi" has not yet produced its famous quattro,
"Volga" index "GAZ-24-95" actually turned out to be a unique machine. It would be quite modern even today, says Nosakov when the jeeps in the style of cars, such as Audi Allroad, BMW X5, Honda CR-V, Hyundai Tucson or Volvo Cross Country, are becoming increasingly popular.

All were released the four-wheel-drive "Volga". The first took the general secretary, the second asked for yourself then Defense Minister Dmitri Ustinov, the third "presented" Gorki Party Regional Committee, and the latter left the then director of GAZ Ivan Kiselev. Vladimir Nosakov (who, incidentally, is one of the authors of the famous "gull") told me one day in the slush, he had to go to the director's "Volga" to the country to the chairman of the commission on standardization, to sign his documents. "Villa stood on the bank of the river, it led the coolest clay slope. In addition, there was a rain. When at last all the documents have been signed, the official maliciously laughed: "Signatures of you from me got, but leave something still can not - people on our road can not rise without the car, you are what come from?" Seeing the window roof "Volga", he laughed even more. But we left. I think the official still could not get over how we did it. "

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting