The new king of the small town rural type called Ktuam.

She was 55 years old, she is a US citizen and 30 years working in the Embassy of Ghana in Washington DC. Now it is - the new king of the small town rural type called Ktuam. Not Queen - namely, the king. Peggilene Bartels talks about his people, the elders, and the corruption of its new "male" positions.

22 phot via Bigpicture

2. Peggy King looks at his tenure with the balcony of his palace. In the village of 7,000 people live, but there is widespread corruption among members of the council of elders.

3. King celebrates the opening of the first bank in the village. To her left - the chief priest Kwesi Amissah.

4. Bartels opens first bank account "Ekumfiman" in Ktuame. Bartels learned that some of the elders had gathered the villagers money, so she decided that the city budget will now be stored in the bank.

5. Bartels sits at the head of the table in his temporary home in Ktuame. She will live in his apartment in Silver Spring, but will be constantly visiting their village, where she is the ruler.

6. In many houses in the village has a sink, shower and toilet. But about 30 years ago, the water dried up. Whether because of corroded pipes, whether due to problems with sewage - nobody knows. When taps are dry, residents dug several holes with a free, but the dirty water of the bay. Children from five years old every day run several miles with buckets of water on their heads

7. Bartels wants to do more wells around the village, so that children do not need to go that far. But for that it does not have the budget of even a few thousand dollars.

8. Bartels applied traditional protective symbols in Ktuame. Being a woman in a man's "profession" is very easy. At his first meeting with the board of elders, she said: "You have to understand that I think like a man. I am as strong as a man. Clever as a man. And demands respect as a man. If you understand this, we'll get along »

9. Royal housekeeper Grace Bent adorns King Peggy traditional ornaments on the eve of the festival of harvest.

10. At the head of the king placed the crown. "Sometimes it seems to me that they want me to be king, because I'm a woman. They think I will be weak, besides, I live far away, so, I will not follow them, "- she says. However, Bartels plans to help improve the lives of his people, an end to corruption, and using his 30 years of experience in administration for better organization of government authority.

11. Bartels (pictured in traditional costume festival in honor of the harvest in Ktuame) should now only wear traditional dress, even if it is on a visit to the United States. Instead of dark trouser suit, which she wore to the office before, she now wears traditional dress with long loose skirts.

12. Bartels and elders are on Ktuamu under royal umbrella. Most elders for 70-80 years. Bartels decided to appoint the board of the younger men and women.

13. A woman carries on her head a royal chair through the streets Ktuama.

14. Royal "soul" 11-year-old Faustina Niameki sits before the king to protect her from evil spirits.

15. Women dancing in the street Ktuama. Bartels was a real source of inspiration for the young generation of the city.

16. Dancers perform on the beach in honor of the harvest festival. As King Bartels directs such activities, considers disputes and settle cases Ktuama.

17. Young people show a scene from World War II during the harvest festival.

18. A young girl goes home, get some water in the evening.

19. Ktuame there is only one paved road. Many live in huts along the road, near the shops, others live near the beach, on small farms where they grow pineapples and papayas

20. A woman binds armful of firewood to sell at the roadside.

21. Residents greet their king during a church service. She hopes to be back here in September to open the library and bring computers to its people become educated. Despite resistance from the Council of Elders, she put in his place during his absence his 52-year-old cousin, Kwesi Acheampong, known for his honesty. Being in the US, she calls up every day with him, to give leadership in his absence.

22. "The Lord gave me children - says Bartels. - Now I got 7000, and I have to grow them as best you can. "

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting