As I toasted card

I want to tell the story of a small dish that one person has prepared recently (hereinafter on behalf of the author).
I still do, I am in a state of shock, because I did not expect a successful outcome to this story. It's all in a non-video card and another successful attempt to restore it, by roasting in the oven.

15 photo.

via habrahabr.ru

At the end of the previous week, a friend called me and complained that his computer starts but the monitor does not turn on. I asked him to count the number of signals that gives the BIOS when testing equipment as deemed that the person to call me, he was able to check the mains power to the monitor, and not stuck if he cord from the monitor on the booze in a port or hole ( It happened). What was a daring response: "Comp beeps 1 time long and 8 short time." Without thinking twice, I found a table of possible signals from its AMI BIOS. I do not think that I was very surprised at what device complained BIOS - card.

I hastened to inform the other. Then I packed up and went to see him in order to look at the video card.

Disappointment

I want to draw attention to the fact that I am not an expert in the field of iron, my knowledge ends there where it starts to electronics, there are certainly some basic knowledge, but they are not essential.

Having seen and examined the card, we have not found any burned, smudges, traces. Cleaning the contacts did not help. We were a little bit angry with constantly escaping from the speaker system unit, a nasty combination of peaks. A friend was upset, I was tired, but did not want to give up. I took sistemnik monitor home and began to repeat the attempts to revive the video card. In vain. Hope dies last

I repeated a little, I understand electronics, soldering irons, boards. But the desire to help his friend prevailed. I did not stop to find a solution. And suddenly, quite by accident, I stumbled upon the topic was discussed at the forum overclocking, in which people share their knowledge and experiences about how they "fried" their dead processors in the oven, after which they began to work again.

I became very interested, had nothing to lose, video repair cost was close to its price in the store. I got a grasp. I found a couple of discussion forums with similar subjects. Later, even found an article that discusses the "cooking" in the oven, and video dare!

As it was, or recipe

Note that if you decide to like cooking, you need to understand that the further you are going to be doing at your own risk. I had no more options solutions, and I had nothing to lose!

You will need:

[*] The realization that this method may not work
[*] The video card (certainly better than the damaged)
[*] The furnace that can heat up to 200-220 degrees Celsius
[*] Screwdriver to remove the cooling system (although some people like and a hammer)
[*] Strong nerves (if first time)

Once you will have all the "ingredients", follow the instructions.

Take the non-working card.

Remove the cooling system.

Leave or not to leave the thermal paste - I do not know, did not find a clear answer, so I decided to clean.

Screwed anything that might hinder us in the oven.

Last time we look at our "Dish", completely disassembled.

Dress up a little foil elements who do not want to endure the heat.

And begin to spread on a baking sheet.

Put the pan in the oven and set the temperature to 200-220 degrees Celsius, I understand that it is impossible for vylazit temperature limit of 250 degrees, and the temperature is below 200 can not melt the solder, where necessary. In fact, at this temperature, there will be small soldering elements. If you do not keep the card for a long time in the oven, the process must be completed successfully.

I tried to gradually raise the temperature so as not to damage the chip, and the completion of the procedure, as gently lower the temperature. After enduring a map at the peak of only about two minutes. On the whole process of cooking in the region it took 10-13 minutes. Then pretty hot baking tray can be pulled out and give the possibility to cool the graphics card is already in the air. Who by that time had already been littered with cigarette smoke, nervously smoking people, to observe the process.

After all the horror of the experience that I have suffered in those terrible 10-13 minutes long, could only be applied to the video chip, a layer of thermal paste and put it!

Dobavleno1 in [mergetime] 1268973018 [/ mergetime]
Conclusion

Hands trembling legs would not obey, but the card was ready and smelled delicious. Nerves were red-hot, and hope began to fade, but after pressing the Power, I have not heard anything but soothing peak, saying that the card is working. The monitor turns on. In the sky flew his cap, a smile, the sun shone. The world came to life around. It was a great gift to me in such a painful nerve and certainly a very valuable experience.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting