On the morning of Sunday, May 6 as close as the moon in its orbit to the earth, and the inhabitants of the planet could see at this moment Supermoon or Perigee Moon - a cosmic event, during which the moon closest to the Earth. The effect is enhanced during a full moon, when the celestial body looks 20% brighter and 15% more. This compilation presents pictures taken before, during and after Supermoon 2012.
1. The moon shines in the sky for the statues of angels in St. Isaac's Cathedral in St. Petersburg on May 5, 2012. (Dmitry Lovetsky / Associated Press)
Every year there is 13 new moons and full moons 13. Among them there are also special events - Supermoon, when the moon in its orbit, which is not a circle, but an ellipse, as close to the Earth. It happened May 6 exactly 3 hours 33 minutes Universal Time.
2. Full moon rises over the Coit Tower in San Francisco on May 5, 2012. (Frederic Larson / San Francisco Chronicle / Associated Press)
At this time, the Terrans were able to see an unusually large disk of the moon, as a maximum approximation to coincide with the full phase of the full moon. Increasing the visual area of the Moon may be visible and the naked eye if the weather was clear and no clouds overshadowed the earth's satellite.
3. The moon shines in the sky behind the statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, May 6, 2012. (Victor R. Caivano / Associated Press)
4. The full moon shines in the sky over the minaret of the mosque of Mohamed Ali in Cairo, 5 May 2012. (Asmaa Waguih / Reuters)
5. Rangler Nate Cummings rides in the light of the moon during the annual rutting horses near Three Forks, Montana, the day before the Supermoon, 4 May 2012. (Jim Urquhart / Reuters)
6. The full moon rises in the sky of the cross on the church Frauenkirche in Dresdene, Germany, 4 May 2012. (Robert Michael / AFP / GettyImages)
7. The full moon rises over the Christian Orthodox Church of St. Thekla near Ayia Napa, Cyprus, 5 May 2012. (Petros Karadjias / Associated Press)
8. The full moon rises behind a mosque in Amman, 5 May 2012. (Ali Jarekji / Reuters)
9. A man is running on the background of a full moon at Papago Park in Phoenix, 5 May 2012. (Darryl Webb / Reuters)
10. The moon shines in the sky above the nesting herons in Wichita, Kansas on May 5, 2012. (Bo Rader / The Wichita Eagle / Associated Press)
11. The moon shines in the sky behind a bush roses in Los Angeles on May 5, 2012. (Joe Klamar / AFP / GettyImages)
12. The moon rose in the sky over Los Angeles on May 5, 2012. (Patrick T. Fallon / Reuters)
13. The moon rises over the Angel's Gate lighthouse in San Pedro, California on May 5, 2012. (Chuck Bennett / Daily Breeze / Associated Press)
14. The moon rises over Vancouver on May 5, 2012. (Jonathan Hayward / The Canadian Press / Associated Press)
15. The moon rose above the wind turbines near Palm Springs, California on May 5, 2012. (David McNew / Getty Images)
16. Tourists looking at the moon in the sky over the ancient temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounion, Greece, 5 May 2012. (Aris Messinis / AFP / Getty Images)
17. The moon rises over the mountain Cultus in Skagit County, Washington, 5 May 2012. (Scott Terrell / Skagit Valley Herald / Associated Press)
18. The moon illuminates the volcanic cone of Diamond Head in Honolulu, Hawaii, 5 May 2012. (Eugene Tanner / Associated Press)
19. The moon shines in the sky for the spire of the Orthodox Church in the city of Novogrudok, Belarus, 5 May 2012. (Sergei Grits / Associated Press)
20. The moon rises over the area of slums in Rio de Janeiro, May 6, 2012. (Victor R. Caivano / Associated Press)
21. Maple leaves are seen on the background of the full moon in Spring Lake Township, Michigan, May 6, 2012. (Cory Morse / The Grand Rapids Press / Associated Press)
22. Full Moon illuminates the statue of the ancient Greek goddess Athena in Athens, May 6, 2012. (Kostas Tsironis / Associated Press)
23. People go fishing on the pier in the Bay Bal, Florida, May 5, 2012. (Wilfredo Lee / Associated Press)
Usually Supermoon phenomenon in the sky does not bode well, as accompanied by increased gravitational effects on Earth. And it is fraught with unpredictable behavior of the subsoil. For example, March 11, 2011 - a few days before last Supermoon - terrible earthquake happened in Japan caused by the tsunami.
24. The moon rose over Manhattan, and 1 World Trade Center in New York City, May 6, 2012. (Gary Hershorn / Reuters)
25. The full moon shines in the sky over Los Angeles on May 5, 2012. (Salman Jafri)