Elite German fighter squadron of WWII

Do not break please podbordku until completed yet =)

Jagdgeschwader 54 «Grünherz» (JG 54) (54 th Fighter Squadron "Gryunhertts" - "Green Heart") - an elite fighter squadron of the Luftwaffe. In the initial period operated on the Western European theater of World War II, he participated in the French campaign, the Battle of Britain. In the spring of 1941 units of the squadron participated in the Invasion of Yugoslavia, working with Romanian airports. Since the beginning of operation "Barabarossa" the summer of 1941 in full strength squadron operated in the 1st Air Fleet, a group of army operrovavshim "Center". This was the only fighter squadron deystvovashey in this area.

The main part of the squadron remained on that front until the end of the war, before the May 1945 fighting in Courland. In 1942, the division of the squadron were transferred into the zone of operations of the army group "Center". In the summer of 1943 partially participated in the Battle of Kursk.

pictured: Reinhard Seiler (kommodore III. / JG54), Spring 1942.

Emblem.
The name of the squadron and its mascot "Green Heart" - came from the coat of arms of Thuringia, the birthplace of the commander of the squadron Hannes Trautloft. For the first time this emblem appeared on the fighter He-51, then a lieutenant Trautloft in Spain in 1937. After becoming the commander of the squadron, distributed Trautloft made its official emblem.

In the photo the same Hannes Trautloft. January 1943

Armament squadron of Messerschmitt planes were Bf.109 series E, F, G, a Focke-Wulf also Fw.190A.

In the photo: bf109 of JG54 Squadron in North Africa.

In the photo: Fw190 Serie A from I. / JG54, December 1942.

In the squadron war he served all air ace Walter Nowotny. Walter was fifth in scoring Luftwaffe pilots won 258 aerial victories, 2 of them on the first jet fighter in combat uchavstvovshem - Me-262.

In the photo: Walter Nowotny inspects his damaged Fw-190

During his last sortie on the Me-262, Major Walter Nowotny was ordered to intercept in low cloud Connect American bomber B-24 Liberator. The circumstances of the battle remained unclear on the ground just heard coming from behind a cloud machine-gun fire, and the radio message was received about a fire in the engine. Then they saw the plane dive abruptly Nowotny. He crashed five kilometers from Ajmer airfield near the city of Bramsche. The pilot was killed.

Pictured: jet fighter Me-262

According to the memoirs sovetskogogo fighter pilot Vladimir Klimenko German pilots of this squadron, our pilots were called "Jolly Fellows". The brutal and bloody battles with this squadron fly on Focke fulf 190 passed in the spring of 1942. Rzhev. The second was the violent clashes in January 1943. on the Leningrad front.
Reviews: High level of training of the pilots of the first composition and the average level of the second composition. And of course all sorts of incidents and cases Funny luck front fate. The bloody and heavy fighting, with heavy losses on both sides.

In the photo: Fw190A of I / JG54

Dobavleno1 in [mergetime] 1286008869 [/ mergetime]
All Only Nenad please call me a Nazi or fascist. My fascination with German technology does not coincide with my political convictions.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting