Icing airplanes

Winter this year started hard - at first froze, and now fills up with snow. Terms - just to see how the deaysing.

22 photos via q-rex

Here's how the procedure deaysinga Domodedovo airport:

1. Snow machines working around the clock. Scary machines with huge buckets and brushes sweep the snow off taxiways on the airfield and runways pour reagents

2. The technical terms, the deaysing (or, in our opinion, icing the aircraft) - this cleaning procedure aerodynamic surfaces from adhering snow and frost and the resulting coverage of the protective structure. If in a simple way - "pour plane any muck."

3. That is, if the process does not hold or carry out wrong ...

I will try to explain the popularity. The wings and tail unit of the aircraft - especially engineered surface whose shape is perfect is designed to provide flight (due to the pressure difference above and below the surface). If frost forms, or snow sticks - form changes, aerodynamics is deteriorating and the plane can not "hold the air" - a tendency to stall. Simply put, the plane starts to fall.

What other problems can happen - getting ice from the wings into the engines, or, for example, plastered with snow sensors that read speed, which result in incorrect / inconsistent information to pilots.

All this is especially critical during takeoff and climb, so the bulk of associated flight incidents connected with this phase of flight.

4. The procedure is carried out, of course, not near the stairs - there is little space, sea airfield equipment and people go. So first embarkation of passengers on board, and then start taxiing to an open parking lot, where he will be held deaysing.

5. The protective coating are about 15 minutes, so the location is selected so that after treatment it was not necessary to steer away vzlёtki (e.g., if the terminal at the other end of the airfield).

6. As far as I understood from his observations, foreigners prefer to pour the entire plane as a whole, including the fuselage, and our mainly limited to aerodynamic surfaces.

7. Deaysing - one of the most spectacular aviation procedures, especially when it comes to the giant ship like this Boeing 777 Singapore Airlines.

8. Many people (like me) will probably be surprised to learn that the liquids are actually two: the first under high pressure wash snow and ice, and then a second protective coating is applied.

9. If the cleaning fluid has a delicate pinkish hue, the protection - a clear turquoise color, which turns into a kind of white aircraft "cucumbers» S7.

10. By the way, about them. The second plane, an example of which we will look processing - Siberian Airbus A319. Landing over, the ladder complex and begins taxiing to the open area.

11. Comes with a liquid vehicle, the operator sits in a cradle and turns the hose on a telescopic "foot."

12. The cleaning liquid.

13. Protective.

14. Then the car goes round the plane and starts processing the other hand

16. Processing is completed - you can fly!

18. The next "client" - 737 Transaero.

19. Another revelation for me was the fact that there are different categories of liquid and there are a variety of proprietary formulations. Depending on weather conditions using different concentrations of compounds. In general deaysing carried out even in the summer - if you pour cold fuel tanks full, already can form frost.

They also found that no harmful chemicals are not there - if a person accidentally gets, nothing to worry about. Although it was to be poured with hot soapy water, pleasant too little.

20. To prevent damage to the road plane and send it instead to repair the flight, the moving parts of the machine equipped with special "mustache" - special sensors that stop traffic at the touch (who knows how the marker in the subway car - will understand what I mean).

21. The machine is called a «Elephant» - an elephant.

If I understand correctly, one such is worth about $ 1 million. There are certainly more economical option - a technician sits in the cradle, takes the hose and watering the plane itself. But Domodedovo is not practiced.

22. All a pleasant flight!

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting