Jumping and flying sea giants

Despite its enormous weight, the female whale jumping out of water and with the same ease and grace as a dolphin. In this picture we see of fifteen humpback whale, weighing 45 tons, jumping out of the water 12 meters. Photographer specializing in photographing wildlife, John Cornforth was just ten meters from the sea giant, making these amazing shots.

7 Photo © Jon Cornforth / Barcroft Media

1. A female humpback whale jumps out of the water off the coast of Alexander Archipelago, Southeast Alaska.

2. Humpback whales catch herring in the "network of bubbles" Alexander Archipelago off the coast.
Tridtsatidevyatiletny Cornforth originally from Seattle took these amazing photos during his trip in Frederick Sound, that southeast Alaska. "It's really great that I was able to get close so close to these amazing creatures," - he said.
"They are terribly curious. They are also fun to watch us as we do for them. There was a time when one of them swam under our boat and began to keep an eye on us, that I too was afraid that he was going to swallow us with the boat. But fortunately, they are too smart to be confused with the usual boat fish they eat ».
Among the photos also has pictures depicting the collective hunt whales - the so-called "network of bubbles." This kind of whales feed on herring, which travels the seas flocks. One or two large whales are immersed to a depth and emit streams of bubbles, while moving in a circle. Thus, herring blows bubbling stream, and small fish are trapped, not being able to get out of the "bubble net". Then the remaining whales can profit just any prey.

3. 4. For the past four consecutive years Cornforth twelve weeks per year whale watching.

4. It's like a ritual: a group of female whales meet every year in the same place.

5. It seems that the 45-Teton giants able to beat the dolphins playing in the pools of water parks.

Every year a group of whales, consisting entirely of females, is going exactly in the same place. And each of the individuals performing the same role in the hunt every year. "It's still a mystery to me why the females gather in this place, - says Cornforth. - They must have some kind of matriarchal community, like killer whales. I watched the same female immersed in water to make a "grid of bubbles" every time. This grid is formed much deeper than the surface. In it reaches a diameter of about 75 meters - to catch a huge amount of herring. These whales are so strong and hardy, they can dive and drive the fish every five minutes for ten hours. "

6. For the past four years Cornforth come here on a six-week period in order to take pictures of whales. During his last trip he had to swim 195 kilometers by boat, which took three days. He is constantly watching the sea, and finally, his efforts were rewarded.
"Humpback whales - it's amazing mammals, - he says. - They rise above the water just for a second, and then dive into the ocean waves. This unparalleled spectacle, forcing the breath away, although it's only for a moment. I hope that people are looking at these photos, will realize how cool to watch these creatures with their own eyes. "

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting