My post about Chicago

Recently, more common on Yap posts about your city, that I decided to describe the little town in which I live. Basically it is pictures, and a few words of my personal information.

Chicago - the second largest city in the United States and third in the number of inhabitants, as well as economic significance, the largest industrial, trade, transport, financial center of the United States west of the Appalachians. Located on the south-western part of the Greater Lake Michigan.

The name "Chicago" - the French word is changed from the language of local Indians Miami-Illinois language «shikaakwa», meaning "wild onions».

The territory of modern Chicago has long belonged to the Indians. The town has developed on the site of a military post of Fort Dearborn, which was founded in the early 19th century. In 1833 he received city status. The rapid growth of the population, especially intensified after the construction of the channel Illinois - Michigan and railways to the Atlantic Ocean, brought Chicago in the late 19th century. 2 nd place after New York.

Chicago - a city of sharp social contradictions and contrasts; front "Ozerny facade", built up huge skyscrapers business center (Loop), located in the north area of ​​the rich mansions "Gold Coast", the parks, wide boulevards, highways along the coast are combined with advanced slum and ethnic ghettos ("China Town", inhabited by black "Bronze City"), the industrial areas in the southeast and the West. Immigrants from Eastern Europe (mainly Poles, Ukrainians and Russian) on different data in Chikagolende naschityvayut more than a million.

Chicago - one of the biggest scientific and cultural centers in the US; national importance are the universities: Chicago, DePaul and Northwestern and Illinois Institute of Technology.

The city also has many great museums of natural history, science and industry, as well as many smaller ones. Add to that the Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium, Chicago Public Library, Performing Arts, "Schubert-tietr", "Blackstone-tietr" famous Michigan Avenue and Millennium Park.

5 out of 10 and the tallest buildings in the United States and 10 from the 50, and the tallest buildings in the world are located in Chicago, including the tallest building in the United States - Sears Tower. It is the tallest building in the US (110 floors, the height of 443 m), consisting of nine towers of different heights, connected into a single structure. In 2010, Sears Tower renamed Willis Tower, the tallest building in the United States and the 8th tallest in the world (Vicky).

We also have a lot of interesting, I do not even know where to begin.
Here's an example - a copy of the Leaning Tower (Chicago tremendous Italian immigration!)

As vsyagy big city, Chicago had very interesting night! There is always somewhere to go and something to see. Yeah, or just with viyti fotikom the street or climb to the 28th floor of the Tower realties))

So walk, walk, and meet the sunrise.

And this is - Michican Ave, rather it Magnificent Mile and one of the few buildings utselennyh after a devastating fire in 1871 Water tower.

Gallery a lot, mostly funny, but I try to find something interesting, that's for example - an advertising guy says, "Now I see" - advertising pharmacy-optics, and it is not the center of the city, and just such staff really make hundreds a day, though each second roundabout.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting