10 facts about the Faroe Islands through the eyes of Russians

In the Faroe Islands, I was about ten times, I guess. I've got a lot of friends, I am glad to see, regardless of the presence or absence of business. Friends who over the years have become friends of communication.

I really like this place. First of all like his men. Contrary to the hysteria defenders of whales, the people there are very open, clean and pristine in many areas.

1. The Faroe Islands are not locked houses everywhere. The last time instead of a hotel we rented the top floor of the house: the owners live on the ground floor, their daughter on the ground, we have taken the upper hand with three bedrooms, a separate bathroom and toilet. "We get the key?" - I asked the hostess. "No!" - She is very surprised, "Why is it you?»

"You really do not lock the house?" - I asked my old friend Birgir. "And why are they locked?" - In turn, he asked, - "I have five children, they always lose their keys, so we did not lock our house!»

2. On the Faroe Islands is virtually no crime. During the Cold War, the United States placed the islands on a military base. In recent years it has been conserved: there constantly were only a few people. Now, at the base is equipped with a prison, where for a short time put local violators: as a rule, for drunk driving. At the time of our arrival in "prison" was as much as four, all four names are known throughout the islands.

If you stop by the side of the bike - no one will touch. If you dropped the wallet on the road - you bring him back with a probability of 99, 9%, or leave in the nearest cafe / store / mall.

3. On the question of whaling: Faroese continue to live the same way as they lived five hundred years ago. Civilization little changed them. In addition to whaling, Faroese personally slaughtered sheep (sheep kept many). It's hard to believe the Europeans, but in Faroese schools have very shocking lessons of Natural History.

A week before our arrival, twelve daughter Birgir resulted in live sheep class directly in the class killed her with a special pneumatic gun in the class also gutted. The other children helped her as much: the Faroe Islands no one was shocked.

"But why, Birgir?" - I asked in disbelief. "Like what? Not all children are now able to do it, she just taught them! »

4. Sheep head - an exquisite delicacy in the Faroe Islands. "And what it is?" - I asked another of his friend. "Like what? Eyes, brains, cheeks! Yes, everything! »
Frozen sheep heads can be bought in the supermarket central Torshavn (called SMS), as well as some small stores. For convenience, the head sawn lengthwise, frozen and packed in a vacuum package.

5. Much to the surprise of the Faroe Islands a pretty good selection of food (as opposed to "starvation" of Norway, in the supermarkets which want to cry). Most products are frozen (and produced in Denmark), but they are. On sale there is a delicious venison, plenty of seafood and fresh fish of the local catch. Smoked salmon and local production, and also absolutely peerless: say with full responsibility that neither Ukraine nor Russia such fish do not know how.

6. On the Faroe Islands (unlike Denmark, the Faroe Islands to which de jure are) very strict requirements for the sale of alcohol. In Torshavn is only one store which sold beer "ordinary" castle, as well as wine and vodka. Everything is very expensive. For unexplained reasons, the beer is sold only in multiples of six. That is, six, twelve, eighteen, etc. cans or bottles. Limitation acts on the package (which actually six cans or bottles) and on individual cans / bottles.

Question: "If there will be only five bottles - you do not sell?" - Enters the store employees in particular stupor. It seems there is no one really thought about it.

In all other stores (including the largest supermarket in the Faeroes) sold beer "Light" with an alcohol content of no more than 0, 2% &

A similar situation with alcohol in the Faroe Islands was launched back in the thirties of the last century. Alcohol sold uncontrollably, many fishermen ruin oneself by drink, but in the thirties men inadvertently gave women the right to vote in elections.

The first (!) That made the women received law - pushed through a ban on the sale of alcohol in the islands. A total ban.

Return of alcohol in some no sales continue for decades. And still ongoing.

7. At the same time the Faroe Islands made a very good and very specific aquavit, called HAVIÐ, fortress already 50, 1 degree. This fortress is the result of a marketing strategy, the essence of which is unknown to me.

8. Also, in spite of prohibitions and restrictions, the Faroe Islands made a very badsome beer, and sort of «Black Sheep» so generally beyond praise.

9. One of my friends in the Faroe Islands was created the perfect business: he collected the waste from fish processing plants (mainly head saithe), and then drying them, pressed and sold to poor countries in Africa. Why does the perfect business? The raw material is free, a huge market, the idea of ​​super, what can I say.

10. On the Faroe Islands in the course of the Danish krone, but the piquancy of the situation is that the Faroe Islands has its own Danish krone, with a very special design. From my own experience I would say that beautiful money in my hands it was not possible to keep.

Source

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting