The story of a mercenary, who visited Iraq

This story was told by a former contractor named Ben Thomas, who visited the hot spots in Iraq.

"It's a lesson that I learned from the experience of a year-long contract in Iraq. I tottered on Iraq more than any of those he met, visited everywhere from Kuwait to Iran. I drove into a military colony in armored Hummer rolling on Baghdad in the official white Fords without armor and informal toned Pajero in a local outfit, with diplomats in armored suburbanah with vertolёnym accompaniment. Like everyone else, I have made mistakes and ended up lucky enough to write all this.

CLIENT: Learn to communicate with any client. Some find excellent local guys, and the US Army - the focus of evil. Some will require you to shoot at each left on a road cyclist. I've seen those, and others. Consider their schedules and self-esteem. Do not neglect your own life. Do not let the client convince you, "it is safe. I always do ... "If it's stupid, it's stupid. And again, if we prevent the client to make his case - we are in deep shit. It's a fine line. Do not be too conservative and not to plunge. Yes, if the customer finds a good idea to ride a tea to Muslimov, the back streets around midnight - sometimes have to do it.

Snaryagu: Carbine, twelve stores to him, a pistol, three magazines for him, first aid kit, GPS, map and compass, radio with spare battery, five hundred tanks suhpay, flask, PNV, Armor and helmet. It's a lot. This hot. If it is too hard for you, join a gym - our job is not for wimps. Now I'll always be wearing a helmet. If it is, it is on my head. The guy next to me fell with a bullet in the head, and it's for all of us decided the issue. The convenient and compact helmet, the more likely that you will wear it. Spend on the MICH, or something like that.

AIMPOINT - excellent (its battery lasts for six months), EOTEC - normal (too bright for my taste), ACOG best. Remember reticle - 3MOA, and we regularly shoot on three hundred meters. Last night had vytselivat mortar calculation of seven hundred meters - fortunately on hand was RMB. What do I recommend? Take ACOG, TA31F - this is the best investment of money.

Ammunition ... they do not deliver. I would become rich if I got penny every time I hear "Yeah, man, we have already ordered ten boxes, three days will be." Or my favorite, "all right, they're waiting for you in the destination country". If you do not have good guns, ammo, armor and communications - simply say "no", as used to say Nancy Reagan. Some offices - pieces of shit and throw you in Iraq and a pair of broken-down AK shops, and some you will pack on the first class. Personally, I prefer the above stock and the rest in the bank account. If I want to backpack for three hundred tanks, I'll buy it myself. Remember that the equipment is crucial. Order the best and take care of it properly.

WEAPONS: Take the largest gun. Keep it clean and ready. TAKE a lot of bullets. Once it took me 14 stores, I never thought that this could be. Stores are stocking up everywhere. If you are working in the "green zone", you have enough of one or two stores, but if you leave it - you need no less than twelve. Buy short M4, it will save your life. I have a 18-inch barrel assembly (upper), and, if necessary, I strengthened it to the bottom of the receiver (lower receiver), replacing them short. It's like having a choice of two carabiners. I also have a MK12 22-inch barrel, and Leupold sight for long-distance shots. TRAINING: I think the most important and overlooked factor of survival - training. Every day, your team should develop algorithms of behavior in various situations. At least do it with shooting idle. We usually start with "What if ...", and with the views of every guy on every unforeseen accident. And we are working on it in different environments.

Come to certain basic principles - and stick to them. Know the common goal and go for it. For example, if a car is ambushed, the driver switches to neytralku to running track machine could hustled him out of the affected area. Many fire. Keep in shape. If the firm can not provide the ammunition, Bear THEM. Shoot dry. Practice at changing shops. In my memory, the three men were shot when they were busy with the change shops, standing post or rarely changing position. Lean on prikladku, aiming. Basic skills - the foundation of victory. Shoot for 800 meters and beyond. I know that almost every battle takes place closer than 150 meters, but we just have to skirmish in the 800 meters and so. Shoot like more serve and always beg for ammunition. Remember in the movie "We Were Soldiers" Sam Elliott in the role of Basil Plamni said - "if I need it, it will bulk", referring to the weapons? He was right. The wounded and deserters throw it so much that in two weeks we have accumulated PKK, AK, PCM, MK19, M249, M203, M4, SVD, and M60 ... it was fabulous ... which led me to the next - Be able to handle any weapon. If you can not shoot out of it, at least read the NSD. You never know when the run out of 5, 56 and will have to take up the RMB. Be familiar with them. Before the short business trip we had a fire drill testing of algorithms and leaving the vehicle. It was the best and most useful exercise of those in which I participated. We spent ammunition in the abyss of simulation scenarios transport ambushes. We came to the unequivocal conclusion that leaving the car - an important step for survival. Hiding in it, or behind it - just wait for a shot from an RPG that will put an end. Therefore -model and exercise - although easier said than done. When the seven in the morning to train my name, I just growl. But I think everyone will agree that their actions better to ponder and discuss at the base than at the side of the car, tuned from PC. TRANSPORT: Breakdown in Iraq - it's like a scene from a movie mustard. Been there, we know. Check the tires, oil, goryuchku, everything else. And do not force your car. Each contractor (mercenary - approx. Trans.) Will tell you that he's a great driver. The fact that he can drive fast and do not dug - does not mean anything. After a course of extreme driving, and if not - let the wheel of a guy who passed them. And let him teach her all tricks. Learn the process. Practice change tires. Realize that you are piled on top of the cargo chute hundredweight - the feeling that I did not want to relive. Place the tow rope in each machine of lap his rear bumper, so he was ready to evacuate within a minute or so. Get a good jack, it is not worth more than money. Make sure that everyone knows where to tow personal belongings, replacement, repair. Practice. Always keep a travel plan. We are always trying to be secretive and smarter than anyone else. Avoid major highways and roads used by the military since They - the main target. Before you leave, look for cards that do not use the army. Ask scouts (G2 hierarchical classification of NATO), why. In the glove compartment keep neprikasayki - fragmentation, smoke and gas. That's the rule. DO NOT TOUCH check UNTIL a grenade at the salon! Tryahnёt machine, and a grenade falls on the road. Insignificant matter. And if in the cabin? Bummer. The use of gas and smoke. If you zatёrlo stream and you have bad suspicions about the car behind, throw smoke. Most drivers will stop or at least relieve you a lot of space. It is effective and harmless. With careful use gas and never - in heavy traffic. Seeing as you catches up with the cloud - not a lot of fun. Gas - a tough thing, and I apply it only when without it it was impossible to do. Fragmentation? We all know that for them to undertake.

I always prefer unarmored armored vehicles. Only common sense. If you roll unarmored - in the case are sandbags, steel plates and spare armor plates wherever possible. Better than nothing. Pull off the polycarbonate windows with armored cars. As in the good old days, nothing ventured opponent as accurate heavy fire. Think about the fuel consumption. Plan to stop for refueling and supplies. Always keep a spare canister, just in case. Monitor the fuel level, count, that it was enough. Attach the visor on the US flag, that has not been seen, until you arrive at the checkpoint. On the passenger side, do the same with the alarm panel of VS17. And warriors can bombard you even faster than local pasties. Take the car and water rations. NEVER throw food to children and / or candy. There are many reasons, but at least - it encourages them to jump out in front of the machine. Hit a child can complete your career. It is more likely that the attacked machine will be back - to plant the best shots with the big guns. The door of the car - not a shelter. Vehicle - do not cover. (Hummer - the car.) Medicine. Medical prichindaly expensive, they save lives. The office where I work, they spent a bunch of dollars, and it has already saved three lives. Conduct medical training. Add to this there is nothing. Do it. GOODIES: You arrive in June? I'd brought with him four pairs of light shoes to change them often. Fifty pairs of socks. At least ten non-cotton T-shirts. Two pairs of sunglasses. Non-cotton T-shirts, if you wear them. (Note the author - cotton does not burn, it is charred. The pilots and crews of fighting machines wear cotton. Polyester and nylon - "sweating" clothing causes severe burns in the event of a fire. Note interpreter - for several years as there is a fire-resistant thermal underwear, ashamed to be unaware , Fu to be.) A pile of talc for feet, movie discs, sunscreen.

LOCATION: If you live in a trailer or a house, find out where the nearest bin. Trying to find him at four o'clock in the morning in a hurry - not an option. Yes, to all come running. People from "Delta", usually viciously mowing at all, follow the frogmen in slippers. 120-millimeter mortars make us all very humble. Zhrachki in my opinion terrible. I sometimes burst ration purely for variety. If you drink coffee - bring. Bag with soluble - its weight in gold. I wear trekking socks, sweat withdrawn. Insects disturb one week, the next they do not notice. Things to remember: Remember that once you have all the stupid little puppies. You had 450 tanks a month and could not do anything without a heap of orders. Keep this in mind when you stervenet because there are 17 thousand per month, and the guys from the neighboring office - 17 500. When the bosses in the states wrote to you that you shaved clean - do it. You never know when to light up in some idiotic gazetёnke.Kuda you used any swing, carry a drink. It is the most valuable item. Would you fuck up, if I listed all that traded our sergeants (see. Anecdotal warrant - approx. Trans.) Whiskey. The soldiers arrived at the one-year trip, and maybe more. They pay in blood for every dollar and every day doing stupid dangerous garbage. Keep this in mind when you have to stay for 68 days instead of 60. And normally communicate with them, if only you. Of course, each of us will eventually work themselves, but differs from the trade secret razved.dannyh. If you ran into on the highway zapodlyanu write this e-mail to colleagues. Trust your instincts, it saves lives. Be thick-skinned, accept criticism adequately. If something does not work, ask for advice. Have your Armor and his helmet.

Always keep spare batteries for GPS. And always carry a map and compass. Know the card and check if all the team know the route. Wear elastic strap on the weapon, he does not cling to when you leave the car. Take a mosquito net and a poncho for the device podstёzhku urban sniper positions. If you start to trust local - it's time to make holiday. Join the battle ... finish it. If you are shooting at someone and he zalёg, you can once again open fire. What started - finished. Things that I'm glad I took them: ACOG, short M4, its holster, its discharge, podstёzhka poncho, camping mat, compass, books. Things that would like to take more than a sock, more stores, more than t-shirts, more shoes, spare parts for the M4 set for urban camouflage, more disks with movies. Keep a sense of humor. Stay cheerful people with them even easier shitty situation. »

Source: 3rm.info

Tags

See also

New and interesting