Cadillac Eldorado: «old school" car

Note that Cadillac Eldorado is not mine, but like the others, and like his older relatives -cars era Full-size car, when it was all true and honest;
Yes sverhtehnologichny modern cars and the eyeballs stuffed the latest achievements of science and technology, but there is no longer what used to be ... ©

Lyricist and a host of cars - a citizen of Russia. However, it has long been living in Minsk, and this machine can often be seen on the streets.

45 photos

What first comes to mind when you hear about Cadillac Eldorado? Someone will present 1950: iconic "Aerostil" legendary "tails", movie stars, TV personalities and well-known musicians. Someone will think about 1970: Forms, which is dominated by straight lines and angles, finally allowed the US government rectangular headlamps, 8, 2-liter engine, the desert of Nevada and Las Vegas neon. Few think about the model of the 1990s, and, most likely, no one will remember about the models of the 1980s. Of course, the fuel crisis and the subsequent growth in popularity of European models to the United States have done their work: together with other "Native Americans" were crushed and the car brand Cadillac. Former size, luxury and extravagance, volumes of engines and extensive engineering solutions a thing of the struggle for the market, replaced by a compact, economy and efficiency. And modesty.
The car, which will be discussed today, has not much in common with the "pre-crisis" models: a big name, V-type 8-cylinder engine paired with an automatic transmission, a two-door body and, perhaps, front-wheel drive. Yes, if we look at history, in spite of the general ideas about the American "old school" in the drive to the front wheels is not surprising - in fact the first Eldorado with this arrangement was a 1967 model. According to legend, this decision was born out of a desire to reduce the vibration and noise generated by the propeller shaft and rear axle. Documentary evidence of this opinion, I have not found. Of course, in the 1990s, they were a little "grown up", but that scope that was inherent in them before, have not reached.

How did this happen

Indeed, I have come to such a life is not very logical way. In 2006 (at the time I was korotkobazny Mercedes W126) a friend of mine asked me to help him with the purchase of Cadillac. The object turned out to Fleetwood Brougham 1995 of release - the orthodox frame rear-wheel drive sedan with a black vinyl roof. Of course, it was bought by all the canons: in one district, famous for its criminal tinge, and a person with the corresponding past. Of course, this also left its mark on the state, and the car: plus there was one - she went. The transaction was completed successfully, after which came a long evening test drive. And all these thrills, especially against the background of my 126 th, which I thought was a rather big car, very tight lay somewhere in the brain. For a while. By the way, Fleetwood is now restored and still live, had even traveled to Europe.

As time went on, I got a Opel Astra H, with whom we have experienced 4, 5 years and traveled 165,000 kilometers. There were good points and not so, but by the end of this period the car to me pretty bored. And now, sitting two years ago November evening in the office leafing through ads on a famous Russian resources, bumping into one in which under "Exchange" means "to consider the options."

I admit at once - I do not remember what was in the section with Eldorado, because since childhood, when the available information was a rare, often translated magazine inserts yes "Turbo" (if anyone remembers, there was a gum), I could imagine myself in the future the owner of many vehicles, including Lincoln and Cadillac

But not the Eldorado. And he did not like me and do not understand was.

As I studied the pictures, each one began to incite me: "Write him a letter with a proposal on the exchange." What I did, it is not relying on any success (as even mentioned in the letter). And already I came home, surprised to find the answer. A couple of questions, and offer me to come to Moscow to show Astra. And then it was the most interesting. I do not notice how it happened, but a few days later I went to Eldorado, decorated in my name. A short correspondence, the road from Minsk, a cursory examination (yes, I had enough of what he starts and goes, even the owner of the comments I have listened with half an ear), two contracts, registration, key exchange - these few days have flown by one point, almost leaving no trace in the memory. On the one hand, I just could not believe that this is really happening on the other hand - the idea that this might not happen, plunged into panic and immediately blocked by the brain. The realization came later.

What to do now

Few waking, decided to explore the new acquisition - the way back because there is no. Now I have a five-meter Coupe 1991 release (1992 model) with the old is still the motor L26 of 4, 9 liters and a complete set Touring, which gives us a sunroof, heated front Electric and two adjustable lumbar support, fog lights, a little more than wood in the interior and, of course, the manufacturer's emblem on the hood instead of the false radiator grille.

In appearance discern some quotes from the 1967 model: the shape of the side windows and the rear rack, a small "break" in the center of the body and stylized vertical brake lights give it a certain similarity with the now classic "great-grandfather."

////

But otherwise it's likely just a "car of the 1990s." Beautiful, of course, but for some reason painted in the "chameleon". I thought that this is correct, otherwise looks like Don Corleone in carnival costume. In general, the state was quite fit: the body with no apparent signs of corrosion, engine and "automatic" is not resisted the movement, the interior looked with supplied - thank you very much for that the previous owner, who in addition left me very volume "dowry" of the details.

There were nuances. Consumption in the city left 30 liters per 100 kilometers, the steering was rather big backlash, desperately wanted the engine to warm up, and the fan oven published suspicious sounds. Well, it's time on their way. Just the first snow fell that I was not very happy, because the car was on the 18-inch wheels on STS-2000s to a low-profile summer tires, and the problem with the temperature of the engine on the track became more explicit - dropped to 66 degrees, and Salon noticeably cooled. Without heated seat would be hard. Nevertheless reached.

Of course, in Minsk once the question arose as the product contain and where to serve. Before that I have and the more popular "Americans" were not. The idea of ​​the campaign for the car market in the Robin or Autocenters once seemed absurd, nevertheless went, but, except for the smiles in your address and the Chinese tensioner from Dodge Caravan, got nothing. Initially, of course, the resulting rescued "legacy", but it was not on all occasions. Made attempts to buy something on eBay (partly successful and partly not), tried to work with the Russian spare parts shop - these options certainly worked, but not always as desired. And there came a little something that is indicated in the lot. There were certain times of panic, thinking that got involved do not get into that, and throw this initiative wanted to. But when the spiritual experiences I was released, I continued to search.
And after a few months in Minsk and we found the right contacts, and enthusiastic people like technique - and professionals, and just maniacs. It was found that the prices of new parts are often lower than similar positions for Opel Astra, and apply to the secondary market is not always appropriate - often it will be more expensive. And technically in the car there is absolutely nothing exotic. Life is slowly improving. Now, of course, quite funny to remember these first steps, but also to go through it had to be.

As the months passed. The first problem of "cured" quickly. Fuel consumption has come to sane values ​​after replacing the thermostat (which finally brought the engine from the already familiar to him warming up mode) and rear brake calipers, in a state of a wedge, and add an extra two to three liters.

Luft steering, often attributed to the "American" as a characteristic, was removed by replacing the rail damper and steering shaft. The remaining problem areas as quickly and easily brought into the feelings, but takes its time - gradually emerged new questions. Axis, rollers, traction, tips, silent blocks, generator - all rushed orders.

At first, there were mistakes. More underrepresented amount of work, I am very smartly started buying parts having secondary importance: the insert panels and seats, ashtrays, nameplates, covers on the motor, even the original audio headunit - it was purchased just for cosmetic or stylistic considerations.

And many are still gathering dust on the shelves waiting in the wings, because incorrect distribution of the budget hindered the work of mechanical and electrical, and to complete them to do, for example, the interior makes no sense. 18-inch wheels have been sold, their place was taken by 16-inch wheels, the truth of Seville, but it is suitable year and design.

And another error. Very much I wanted to put the rubber on a beautiful summer, I stopped at one of the models Vogue Tyres. Yes, but that's yielding to new ideas and opinions on the outer part of the car, I took the bus a little smaller dimension than the default (and in fact had a choice). Of course, on the one hand, the car was slightly below that in general has a positive effect on the silhouette, tires very nice sat on wheels, and they themselves look smart.
But on the other - the wheels began to lose large arches, and smooth ride ... It has improved markedly compared to the previous low profile option, and sensitivity to the track is gone, but every time, "pereobuvayas" in the winter of the original set of dimensions, notes that it and softer, and the automatic transmission works correctly, and dynamics as something pleasant. So the next time just "sink".

As this ride
Indeed, enough already of historical references - must be told about the car from a practical point of view. It is understood that this class coupe may not be top of utility and versatility. However, remember the times when I felt uncomfortable with, too, it is impossible. By size adapted quickly enough. In fact, the car is not as big as it may seem, after the full-size sedans I jokingly call her "compact».
Narrowed in front and behind the body and surprisingly small turning radius allows very loose feel in city traffic and parking, just a little bit is not enough visibility: wide C-pillar and small mirrors create some restrictions. Especially when leaving the parking lot of the "Christmas trees."

Some may say that the power of 200 with very little horsepower - too little for this volume. Well, the consequences of the most energy crises there.

This motor is rooted in the early 1980s and really is not the most efficient power unit in the history of American industry, but to me he is very nice and its sound relative constructive simplicity. And if you look on the other side - and the car is not very similar to the "maslkar."

And then, even if the grandfather is already far from the factory 8, 5 seconds up to a hundred and 373 newton-meters of torque, so I do not often use "kikdaun" (and then mostly for fun) - a quarter of the pedal is almost always the maximum in city. And in short supply and switching softer.

Speaking of softness. Many are likely to have already submitted gelatinous suspension and a complete lack of control over the behavior of the car. So there is - the European spirit is clearly hung over the engineers during the design and configuration of the chassis. No raskachek, inaccuracies path redundant banks. Even boring. No, no explicit shaking, excessive sensitivity to the nuances of coverage or lack of energy intensity is not observed.
But I confess that some trains on the sedans in the US, expecting another - at least that is softer. On the other hand, with the front-wheel drive that gives a very familiar and predictable handling, and does not complicate life, for example, in the winter. Leather moderately light, brake enough - there is not even write anything interesting.
The interior, too, can be traced attempt something to learn from Europe. There is already a solid front of the sofa (and the width of the car would not allow), instead there are two separate chairs.

The center console with an ashtray and a selector "automatic", as well as the instruments, also performed in the European manner.

Practically no more beautiful and interesting details that are so abundant in the model of the 1960s and 1970s. There is a variety of polished metal complex design panels, hinged door handles, interestingly decorated and arranged the interior lights, materials with beautiful textures - all this in the past. Only the metal cigarette lighter with "wreath" yes belt buckles with logos reminiscent of the past.

Everything is quite modest: simple shapes, some simple materials, clear layout. However, and located all in their places - controls are available and where they are looking for.

Quite a lot of plastic in different variations and combinations. No, it's not bad, is not very susceptible to damage, soft and cute. But in general, it looks quite casually. Against this background, a very pleasant good carpet on the floor and doors, small wood veneer and leather on the seats, which, incidentally, is still "alive" and not even completely lost their form.

But the rest is worth mentioning separately - perhaps at the moment more convenient I have not seen. Let them not as rich in settings as modern, they have no ventilation and massage, but I do not remember the other car, where I could just as easily pass 7-8 hundred kilometers, stopping only at the pump, and not following the road to creep out and broken crooked. So I did not worry about the lack of a sofa.

The back row is also suitable for use - and the most ever go there, but for some open space, however. Although engineers have precisely calculated that there will be people to travel: in the front armrest positioned vents of the climate system with personal fan and control, placed two on the ceiling courtesy light for the back row, and under the windows - two ashtrays.

Roughly the same can be said of the trunk. It certainly is, and not so small, but the set of tires (as in other American sedans) there is not included. Yes, and the rear wall is not formed - there is a large part of the electronics. So skis or snowboard will come too.

I think, to talk about other options is not much point. Climate control, ABS, air conditioning, sunroof, electric, Avtosvet, closer luggage - it has many, and not worth the attention.

It's just that this car has everything you need to move one or two people at any distance, at any time of the year without much difficulty. You can also mention the rear air suspension, but its basic functionality is simply to maintain ground clearance, depending on the load of the back of the car. And yes, it works.

Of course, with consumer point of view is not the best option: building materials and do not tinker, and fishing will not get out. But from him that I never wanted to. Moreover, after the Astra had a desire to dilute the routinization of life. Here Cadillac can give a lot. Just one glance at him through the window, lifts the mood for the evening. As well as hard to keep yourself from getting in the evening after washing did not ride a circle or two around the city. And how much emotion is met in the city of "twin"! And even search for parts, maintenance and repairs of the many perceived more as a game or a hobby, which is not a pity money now very scarce and spare time (here is where Las Vegas). After all, the result is worth it, and at the outlet - have a rare and beautiful coupe, the state of which may be its main ornament. But on that need more work.

Conclusion

Perhaps this story will cause more questions than it answers. Someone probably remember about the typical problem with the main light in the "American". All is simple: wash lights inside, change light bulbs and set up (about polishing will not mention - there is still glass). As bright as it can "linzovannaya" xenon, they will not shine, but without exceeding the track is enough.

Of course, it will be interesting to see how often the car breaks down or away from something falls off. Adjusted for age - often.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting