Universe

English programmer and artist Chris Chamberlain (Chris Chamberlain) took on the ambitious task of creating a large-scale mosaic map of the world hundreds of thousands of tiny components. He used more than 300,000 different tiny fragments, each with his own cut and grind. Every single detail is twenty times smaller than ordinary piece of the mosaic. To create a glass puzzle that Chamberlain called the "Jewel of the Universe", it took him more than two years. Only preparation for work took him six months.

This is my first job, and she has taken an important place in my life. I made this card in the garage in his spare time, and so my wife is very rarely seen me the last few years. If you add up all the details of the mosaic in a row, you get a length of three kilometers. In order to most accurately convey detailed map of the world, 49-year-old artist turned to NASA photos.

There is in this work, and precious stones. Chris used the 12 varieties of precious stones, such as amethyst, aquamarine, citrine, diamond, emerald, ruby, sapphire, tanzanite, topaz ... Just a map of the world, there are 1238 pieces, total weight of 260 carats. Rubies and emeralds, he noted spiritual place -Mekku and Jerusalem. Turquoise stones laid meandering rivers and lakes, namely the Nile, Mississippi, Ganges, Thames, Amazon. Zircon was used to celebrate the best and globally significant, according to the author, the city of the world, including New York, Tokyo, London, Dubai.

It was very hard work. Each element was stuck to a sheet of Plexiglas with tweezers. Upon completion of the work framed Chamberlain finished product in a frame of black stained glass and illuminated it with the help of nearly 7000 light-emitting diodes.
I can not convey a sense of relief when the last piece of glass has been put in place. I liked to do it, but sometimes this map drove me crazy.

Now the "Jewel of the Universe" for sale in an online auction site eBay. The initial cost of 375 thousand dollars. As the artist himself says, for it is the first work in the series, in which he intends to continue to demonstrate the uniqueness and beauty of the earth.

Tags

See also

New and interesting