Today, July 18, marks the anniversary - 75 years, the famous and venerable director Paul Verhoeven. He himself was born in Amsterdam, but in the mid-1980s moved to Hollywood and began to take English-language films, or rather super blockbusters such as "Robocop" and "Total Recall", which brought him huge international success. The truth of his iconic "Showgirls" flopped at the box office, and "thanks" to him, Verhoeven was not only the winner of the "Golden Raspberry", but also the first to show up for her ceremony. But cult "Basic Instinct" detonated a bomb at the box office, and then turned and now kinokanon erotic thriller. On the anniversary of the author of one of the most provocative works of world cinematography offer a selection of the most interesting facts about the movie.
1. First, in the role of director Catherine considered:
2. From the main role in this film immediately abandoned:
3. As a result, Verhoeven offered the role of Sharon Stone - he liked how she played in his own movie "Total Recall" with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
4. Dresses worn by Sharon Stone in the film, were designed to repeat the dress Kim Novak in "Vertigo" - the famous Hitchcock's 1958 thriller.
5. Michael Douglas himself, without a backup, performed almost all car stunts.
6. Douglas was nominated for the "Golden Raspberry" of 1992 for worst actor, including for his role in "Basic Instinct».
7. In order to get the rating «R» (pass censorship committee), the director had as many as 14 times to remount the film.
8. For screenplay for this film Joe Eszterhas received $ 3 million that was unheard of at the time.
9. Each day of filming the police had to protect the set of the activists who were protesting for the rights of gays and lesbians.
10. The company, which produces whiskey "Jack Daniels" has paid more than $ 1 million for a scene in which Nick Catherine offers a drink of whiskey, "Jack Daniels". After such a publicity stunt sales of whiskey once grew.