Initially, this building was built as a hotel called Halcyon Hall. It was a luxury hotel in stone and wood. The building was built in Victorian style and complex employs 200 rooms on 5 floors, plus a two-level basement. Despite the grandeur of the popularity of the hotel did not come. It was closed in 1901, and was waiting for the owners of the following eight years.
Bennett School for Girls, she decided to move to a former hotel in 1907. The school flourished for seventeen years, it learned to 120 girls, most of whom are prominent semey.
They studied for six years. Four years of school and two years of college. It studied the history, language and art.
In 1926, the north wing was demolished and in its place was built a large hall. In 1952 the building was given over to the hostel. And in 1956, a library was added.
In the 1970s, in connection with the total modernization of education Bennett College was closed. Attempts to unite have failed and the building was empty again. A library was given to the city.
In the 1980s, an unsuccessful attempt was made to rebuild the building, but it failed and in 1993 the house has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places. However, residents say, the city is thinking about the demolition of the building and in its place built residential domov.