Transport Museum, New York

The story will focus on the Transport Museum, which is located in New York. The story is of a man who visited this amazing place.

The familiar and not so familiar people when they find out that I'm in New York, often say: "Oh, you were in the transport museum ?!" and immediately osekaetsya: "Ah ... yes ... YOU then, of course, know about him I was ... I'm sorry. " In fact it was not, until today. The fact that the museum there is, of course, I knew. But the forces to reach it was not. Finally I got. And I do not want to tell you about the history of transportation in New York, but rather the transport museum, as a phenomenon.
As any self-respecting city's public transport is bound to have at least a small museum of transport. In large cities, it is sometimes very large museum with a very rich exposition. As any self-respecting city's public transport museum sure to regularly open to the public, has a permanent exhibition, it lead students ...
The museum is located in Brooklyn, close to City Hall and the Transport Department in New York. Login stylized as any of the hundreds of inputs to the metro station. And that, as it turns out is not so easy (and if you look more deeply, even due to the history of his organization).

How to start a regular transport museum? Naturally, with the ticket, where you will take $ 7 Naturally, with a story about the city and how its growth has been associated with the solution of transport problems and transport problems are exacerbated with its growth. To make car drivers are not pruned buses, it is important that they understand the role and significance of these buses play in the life of the city. How anyone who lives in the city, necessary and important transportation system regardless of whether he uses it personally.

After the story about the meaning of the transport system for the city, you can go to the most "hero for the day." And we should start with how and where energy is obtained.

All the stands are buttons, so they can be pressed, by this start to rotate turbines, light bulbs represent the passage of steam ...

Here hydroelectric, wind turbines went on (standing next to a powerful fan, the flow of which the visitor can be adjusted to look at what point the wind turbines will start to work and to give current), then the solar cells ...

Do not believe that the rotating magnetic field can cause a current in the circuit? .. Okay, rotate drive themselves to work out the energy and see the spark discharge occurs.

Do you want to make sure that no magnetic field will not work? Well, here's the motor. Move levers summing magnets to the winding, see how it starts to rotate.

Having dealt with the generation of electricity? Then we can go further - let's put your hands circuits ... make the light bulb rotate motor, honk the horn ...

And is there transport? Yes, despite the fact that the dismantling of some "abstract" visitor passes to the electric dynamo to apply electric power to the layout of the subway car. There are current - spinning wheels, lights on ...

Well, what about buses? And with them, too, everything is fine. Here's a classic diesel.

And this is - is modern, including having several degrees of exhaust gas purification. Modern coaches care about clean air of the city.

To make it clearer, there are models of buses ...

Get behind the wheel, attached to the Management :)

Here's a "live" bus engine:

But, motor trolley car Subway:

That is, at first glance, the museum is rather technical. Is focused on the fact that children (and other children) to understand how they see all arranged. Personally hands checked how it works. Felt that the transport system, which they use - it's not a thing had fallen from the sky, and the product of labor and the mind of many people.

And what about the story? .. Where do without it;)

In 1966, in New York, there were the first buses with air conditioning;) Moscow has grown to the case in 2011, seems to be so?

And in 1980 began to come on line buses suitable for the transport of persons with disabilities. Low-floor lyase appeared in 2004 ... it seems like something we had and a little earlier, but mass is not reached. Forgot to that - sorry Museum then we do not have, do not look!

Some models are very fond of them ... there.

And if you go and go down another floor to the level of a closed metro station ... you will find a treasure trove of history.

To sit in a subway car 20s? Try as they were Seats (better than it is now!), To see what were the railings ... what materials were used.

Or later?

And maybe even a little later?

You just check it out ventilation! Well this song! :)

It gradually becomes clear how the individual parts of the car were developed. How do lighting, handrails, seats, forced air ventilation, windows ...

But the main thing - these cars contain full information about the time, it is only necessary to dig a little. For example, in cars hanging original advertisement:

Including one that now would be quite difficult to imagine the subway

Is not it lovely? ;)

This is great! They can only spend hours studying advertising!

You can learn how to transports passengers entertained in that era. For example, Miss Metro-early 50:

Or, it is a brilliant thing - I'm waiting for the Moscow (Moscow rather transporters) will grow to such:

Want to learn how to change the navigation in the subway? Simply click on the cars from different eras:

They hit upon the idea when the devils make some important points, such as transplants, including buses:

At the station, there are design elements of the stations so that they, too, could see "in the developmentĀ»:

On the exhibits can and should sit - it improves the quality perception of the entire system.

Want to know how the idea has changed in the turnstiles? Easy.

There you can discover the old turnstiles, with the function of counting of passengers.

Another answer to the question "so why all this is necessary," waiting for the end of the station, where the platforms were exposed trams. They filmed the movie;)

Naturally, at the exit of visitors waiting for the museum shop. In the US, all of the output from anywhere will be waiting for you shop. This is an opportunity to "fix" brand in unexpected places, increase customer loyalty to the system, to give free advertising organization. Finally, it is simply profitable! Souvenirs from the metro New York, or the models in the livery of buses MTA sold in any souvenir shop in Manhattan. But the shop museum of transport in this regard, of course, reached its apotheosis :)

I will list only a fraction of what is available in this store. Toys in colors and letters lines. It is assumed that the smallest passengers so easier to remember their "home" subway line and become better oriented in the transport system.

For small and not so - model trains and buses, and also division lines. And there is not only New York, then there's the Chicago CTA, Philadelphia SEPTA, New Dzhersikysky NJ-Transit ...

Rubber boots do not want?

About all sorts of magnets, postcards, backdrops for iPhone, badges, jewelry ... about what I write, even I will not detail.

Let's look, which can be used beautiful layout scheme subway. On the bag.

On towels, pot holders, aprons, cups, mugs ...

Raincoat, shorts, slippers, umbrellas, cosmetics, purses ...

Why, a curtain for the bathroom!

I would be very happy if the scheme of the Moscow Metro would become a recognizable and "souvenir" as the subway map of New York ... By the way, slipper with the scheme I had already seen in the gift shop in the building Genasamblei United Nations in New York. This is the sort of thing that just "mast keV." So here's what a museum of the transport system in a city where love and develop public transport. What do we have? Trolleybuses, buses and trams to stuff in all directions ... the exhibits is rotting in the open air on the TRZ ... Subway cars is also not in the best condition. For example, one of the surviving cars of type "A" (built for the opening of the underground), according to Wikipedia was "illegally sold to Moscow biker bar" Night Train "." Wagons "B" and "D" have simply no ... Museum? Saving history? View on posters or charts, sit on couches? .. In any civilized city - and, of course, not in Moscow.

Source: mymaster.livejournal.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting