The first mention of the Black Sea found in documents relating to the V century BC. It is on the Black Sea were Jason and the Argonauts in Colchis for the Golden Fleece.
1. The Greek name of the sea - Pontus Aksinsky (Gr. Πόντος Ἄξενος), which means "Inhospitable Sea". It is expected that the sea was so named because of the difficulties of navigation. Later, after the successful development of the coast of the Greek colonists, the sea became known as the Euxine (Gr. Πόντος Εὔξενος, «Hospitable Sea"). Romanian Black Sea called Marea Neagră.
2. A characteristic feature of the Black Sea is complete (except for some bacteria) the absence of life at depths of more than 150-200 m. The fact that the deep layers of the Black Sea are saturated with hydrogen sulfide.
3. The circuit currents of the Black Sea are two huge closed cycle with a wavelength of 350-400 km. In honor of Nicholas Knipovich oceanographer who first described this scheme, it was called "Points Knipovich»
4. The only large peninsula of the Black Sea - Crimea.
5. The Black Sea is home to 2,500 species of animals. It is very small (in comparison, in the Mediterranean is home to around 9,000 species). At the bottom of the Black Sea live mussels, oysters and clams - predator Rapana, unit tunes with ships from the Far East.
6. Among the planktonic algae that live in the Black Sea, has a very unusual appearance - noctiluca scintillans. She has the ability to fosforetsirovat, and that because of it the Black Sea in August, sometimes shines.
7. Mammals are represented in the Black Sea, two species of dolphins, porpoises and white-bellied seal. Some species are brought into the Black Sea through the Bosporus and Dardanelles straits over.
8. The only massive shark that lives in the Black Sea - a spiny dogfish spiny dogfish. He is afraid of people and rarely coming to the shore. The only danger to humans of katrana dorsal fins, which are equipped with large venomous spines
9. The most dangerous fish of the Black Sea - a sea dragon. The spines of its dorsal fin and gill covers contain a strong poison. Also dangerous Black Sea scorpion fish and stingrays with poisonous spines on the tail. It is called the fish-cat.
10. The mountains around the Black Sea is constantly growing, and the sea itself increases. And when the mountains are growing only a few centimeters per century, the sea comes with a speed of 20-25 centimeters in 100 years. The ancient city of Taman already disappeared at the bottom morskom.Istochnik: