Predictions

At different times, different people have tried to predict what will happen in the future in the field of engineering and technology. Some of these predictions is very fun to read, and invite you to think.

In 1894, the president of the Royal Society, Lord William Thompson predicted that radio had no future. The first factory for the production of radio opened 5 years after this statement. Currently, the number of radios in the world - more than a billion, and the number of stations is measured in tens of thousands. One of the predictions of the great lord - machines heavier than air are unable to fly. Here he also pierced ... And finally, what about X-rays he also spoke highly critical - "this is a hoax!».

In the 6th century BC, the famous mathematician Pythagoras theorized that the Earth - round, but few agreed with him. After 300 years, the Greek astronomer Aristarchus of Samos was of the view that the earth revolves around the sun, and again there was a bit of his followers. After 100 years, another Greek astronomer Erastofen measured the distance from Earth to the sun. He got about 40 thousand kilometers, and according to tradition, few believed him. In the second century AD, the Greek astronomer Ptolemy said that the Earth is the center of the universe - and he believed the next 1400 years ...

In the early 20th century, it was believed that the presence of the world's 4 million cars will simply not enough drivers. At the end of World War II, the entire infrastructure of the German Volkswagen Group came under the management of Henry Ford II. He immediately called the design of the car Volkswagen Beetle poor, and in our time made at least 70 million units of the model per year! Beetle is one of the best-selling car of all time.

In the first 15 years after the appearance of the phone it is not widely used because most people do not see the point in its application. In the British Parliament spoke in favor, in order not to use the phone because there are a sufficient number of couriers. Representatives of Western Union claimed that the phone never to supplant the telegraph, writing in an internal memo in 1876, "The phone has too many shortcomings to be regarded as a means of communication." Interestingly, Mark Twain, who was the inventor of the telephone Alexander Graham Bell asked to help with money, did not see a future for such a useless invention as the telephone.

Irish scholar Dionysius Lardner (1793 - 1859) saw the train dangerous mode of transport. The main danger, in his opinion, was that when driving at high speed passengers would be in danger of suffocation. Let me remind you that in our time the train broke the speed limit is 500 km / h.

In 1927, one of Warner Brothers, HM Warner, spoke quite sharply - "What the hell voosche actors need to talk?", It was said on the subject of sound film. In 1936, the editor of the Radio Times (Radio Times) said: "Television will not play a special role in your life or my».

In 1943, Thomas Watson (Thomas Watson)? chairman of IBM, suggested that global demand for computers is as much as ... 5 pieces. Interestingly, a few years before the release of IBM's first personal computer itself has been developed by Xerox, but she used them only for their needs, focusing on the issue of copiers. The founder of DEC Ken Olson said in 1977: "I see no reason why someone have a computer at home." But since that time was only about 30 years ... What will happen in another 30 years?

After the invention of the semiconductor transistor in 1947, many US electronics corporation did not recognize the idea of ​​creating a portable radio. When Bell launched a transistor on the market in 1952, they were only interested in a small company Sony? released on the basis of its solid state radio in 1954.

In 1954, the concert manager refused to Elvis Presley, saying that: "it is better to return back behind the wheel of the truck, man" (my translation, free). In 1962, the record company Decca Records rejected four Beatles, saying: "We do not like their music, and guitar music in general is already dying out." How, I wonder, they bite elbows years through 10-15 ...

In 1966, Coco Chanel spoke about miniskirts: "This is a bad joke, it will not last long, especially with our winter." I wonder what she would say now, with the Russian winter, when some foolish young ladies manage to wear a mini skirt on the street?

Finally, and most "accurate" prediction - in 1899 the chairman of the US Patent Office Charles H. Duell said President McKinley (McKinley), that "everything that could be invented has been invented."

Tags

See also

New and interesting