Eruption Kluchevskoy

When I corresponded with a colleague from Thermal, Denis said that we have a chance to see a volcanic eruption. Honestly, I did not attach much importance. And even when we were shaking all day in a jeep, making his way to Kluchevskoy, I was thinking about something else. But come the moment when it was already night, we climbed the steep road to the next hill and saw the eruption ...
Until Kluchevskoy hill was far, even in telephoto, she was little, and even a few minutes later, the clouds completely obscured the sight of us. But then it became clear that all plans are changed, we will watch the light to the last, and wait for the moment when the volcano we will ...

Already in the dark we got to the house, which at that time was part of a group of volcanologists (they themselves were encamped somewhere close to volcanoes, and assistant and mountaineer, were in the base camp).
Put up a tent, I lay down to sleep, I had a fever, snot, and on top of all this, acclimatization. The guys up to three nights running around the tent, taking volcano, and when got into the sleeping bags, I got already, now I could not sleep.
Morning dropped heavy fog, we collected mushrooms cooked julienne and finished off supplies of beer - nothing was to hinder us on the set! By evening, the weather began to build, and in the night we went out to the open air. Climbing higher, found quite a convenient point for shooting. But a strong and cold wind forced us to separate. Denis went outside the tent, and the rest were trying to shoot. It was very difficult to achieve sharpness in photos, wind constantly rocked photo equipment, a tripod is not much help.

In the morning we went towards Tolbachik, near the lake and met two groups of tourists descend. The weather was perfect, and Kluchevskaya was open. During the day, we can only observe the emission of ash, lava flows are not visible, but on this day they were apparently very strong. When one of them reached the glacier, hit up a huge column of ash and steam, we even thought at first that this is yet another eruption ...
The place was so successful for the shooting and the camp that we moved here and the remaining two days and three nights guarded light on this point.

Our camp on the background Tolbachik.

Column of ash, that the gray, and the left column of steam arising from the collision of lava and ice.

While the guys were not, I shot one, and I literally skipped around a herd of hungry and arrogant evrazhek, one of which even tried on the tooth is one of the tripods.

The next day, nothing special (in terms of visual effects) is not remembered. The sky was covered, but very often we heard the roar and explosions, but to see what's going on, there was no way. And in the evening the wind changed direction and we began to reach the outskirts of ash from the volcano.

In the last day of the "duty" we are very lucky, in the evening the sky cleared and we were able to fully enjoy the sight and shoot. First, the snowy peaks of solar fire blazed, and after a short time after sunset, we can already observe the lava emissions. At some point it got cold so in tents formed frost, but to 4am warmer. It is in many dispersed most persistent photographers.

This frame is made in 4 hands. While my Pentax 67II caught the light (I was shooting with cable), Julia and I were looking for experimentally we needed exposure. I stood there with a stopwatch, Julia was holding the button.

This frame is made in 4 hands. While my Pentax 67II caught the light (I was shooting with cable), Julia and I were looking for experimentally we needed exposure. I stood there with a stopwatch, Julia was holding the button

Gorely.

In the past year I've been to this volcano. Then we walked there is great - lucky with the weather. I was told that now increased activity of the volcano, at night there are interesting effects, and it was decided to go there.
Arriving in the evening to the beginning of the trail leading upstairs, we found the last of tourists coming down from the top. Our idea was that would rise in the twilight, to shoot at night and wait for dawn at the top. We needed a custodial light. More worried prediction was coming to Kamchatka front, so we decided not to wait, and that same evening rise.

Ascent to the volcano, in principle, not difficult, and we are in no hurry (all night), and somewhere in two hours were on the edge of the crater (they are there two) with fresh-water lake. By this time it was night, and by the acid lake could see the crimson glow. The wind blew constantly acid evaporation side. Assessing the situation, we decided to try to go to the crater with an acid lake and look at what was happening on the other side ...
It was a little scary when we walked along the edge of the crater. On the one hand in the glow of the lights flashed land and a half away on the other, there was an abyss.
Without any difficulty, we went around the crater, coming to a place above the acid lake. Unforgettable spectacle opened. If somewhere on the ground and there is a hell, then one of those places we have seen at his feet.

It was very difficult to shoot, the wind was so strong that even leaning all his weight on a tripod, it was impossible to ensure that the camera is stationary. Then when viewing photos, it turned out that very few sharp shots. Well that takes quite a lot has been done.
After a couple of hours of waiting, the crater reached the first portions of the fog and the mist was sucked into the hole, which immediately began to rise pairs, soon a haze all around. There was nothing to breathe and we hastily uprooted. Soon we fell very dense fog, and it became clear that the dawn we will have met the bottom ...
And here are some shots from last year's Burnt shooting. Now the acid lake dries up, and fresh water, it was dirty, all the glaciers that were there, melted.
Unfortunately, all that we could not see, because in the morning was a heavy downpour and we were forced to leave.

At the bottom of the fresh water lake, and in the background above the clouds you can see the volcano Mutnovsky.

We even went down to him, and there was still snow and ice.

And this is the second lake acidity. Around the place where you can see the yellow sulfur, and there is a hole. Perhaps that is somewhat lower. The guys say that the lake level is strongly decreased, apparently now it evaporates.

Tags

See also

New and interesting