My wife and I’s parents came to my birthday and presented me with a gift that we are still in shock about.

Modern youth do not think in the same categories as their parents did in their time. Today, even young couples in love do not want to meet each other during the day, and in the evenings return to their home, where dinner and a loving mother and father await them. They want to rent an apartment and live independently. Yes, young people today are becoming more determined and independent. Although it costs them some effort. But, what is most surprising, many of them are happy to continue living in rented housing, even after marriage.

Naturally, the older generation does not like this very much. There is no stability and confidence in the future. Their arguments are simple and clear: apartment owners can ask tenants to move out at any time. They can raise the price or do whatever they want. And your own home is a completely different conversation - confidence, prosperity, development. But is this really so? Let's try to figure it out.

Rent an apartment I don’t know why and how it happened, but my mother considers me not an adult, married man, but a little boy who doesn’t understand anything in this life. This state of affairs may touch some people, but certainly not me. My nervous system is becoming more and more unstable each time, and it’s unpleasant to feel a hint of irritation before the next telephone conversation with my parents. But I haven’t even turned thirty yet. What will be next?

While still in college, Mila and I started dating. Not just because of physical attraction to each other. Or rather, even when its peak passed, we constantly wanted to be close and further. Then I had an unpleasant story, with which my beloved helped me. And six months later she already found me useful. Probably, these events somehow brought us closer. The experience we had together cemented our relationship, and it is not surprising that we simply could no longer live apart.

Peels Living together I started working more on my part, Mila didn’t waste any time either. And, in the end, we came to the point that we were able to afford a small apartment with good repairs. The owners lived in another country, so all that was required from us was timely payment. We were also lucky with our neighbors, so our first experience of living together was not overshadowed by anything. Except, of course, our parents. They knew everything better than us. Certainly.

The main complaint was the following: now you will begin to live together and multiply. And who will graduate from college and get a normal job in their profession? And who will babysit the grandchildren if something happens?! Moreover, this was presented to us by both my parents and Mila. We seem to be adults already. But we still can’t decide what to do with our lives. You can't imagine how infuriating this is. It is not surprising that my parents and I often had conflicts over this. Although after some time everything calmed down. Apparently, the older generation just got used to it. Or they somehow agreed among themselves, I don’t know. And what difference does it make to me?

A couple of years after completing my studies, when we were both already employed and looking confidently into the future, Mila suggested that I find a new place to live. One of her friends came across a good option, in a good area and at an excellent price. But I had to think quickly. I remember back then we waited a long time for a taxi to come and meet with the realtor. But that day I fell in love again. To your new apartment. Stylish renovation, almost new furniture and a gorgeous view from the window. I wanted to stay here forever.

Rent an apartment Mila also highly appreciated our new home, so we quickly completed all the documents, talked with the owners and even bragged to our parents about our new stage in life. I can’t say that this made the same impression on anyone as it did on us... But oh well. This is our business. We just shared our emotions, right? And what the return should be from the rest is a completely different matter.

One way or another, after moving to our new abode, I didn’t even see what could be improved in it. Even the posters hung on the walls in such strict and modern frames from Ikea, which I personally was simply delighted with. And friends praised the interior. Of course, I can hardly describe everything in words. And it’s somehow ugly to brag. But this ideal floor and high ceilings... It’s true what they say: you can’t build happiness in Khrushchev. Still, living conditions are of great importance, I’ll tell you. Don't underestimate them.

But we agreed to have a modest wedding with my beloved. We called our parents, a couple of friends and had a cultural relaxation. Pleasant music, delicious food, without excesses in quantity. We found this approach stylish and quite modern. Again, no gypsies, noisy “folk” music and competitions to collect money or put a pencil in a bottle. This is some kind of horror! But the parents were again unhappy. They wanted all their relatives to “buzz.” Including those whom we have never seen in person. They even agreed to sponsor us for this business. But we politely refused.

Peels Family holiday A year and a half has passed since that day. Everything in our family life is just as good. Mila and I both work, save money for the future, and don’t forget to have fun somehow. In general, I don’t want to complain about life, you could say I’m lucky. This could be the end of my story, if not for one event that happened just the other day. And since then I haven’t been able to sleep normally, I started lashing out at my wife and I feel very “not very good.” What's happened? And I will answer you.

I had a birthday. The plans were as follows: on the date itself, invite your parents and mother-in-law and father-in-law to celebrate. And on the weekend you can sit with mutual friends. A good plan, I thought. This means that Mila and I prepared some dishes at home and ordered some for delivery. In general, we were prepared. We decorated our already perfect apartment and began to wait for guests. And they, in turn, were not late. And they even all arrived together. Even then I thought how nice it was of them that they agreed among themselves so that they would not have to wait for anyone.

An unexpected gift While everyone hugged and kissed each other, some time passed. Then toast, snacks and cake. According to tradition, I blew out one candle, and then the older generation took their word. And my blood pressure began to rise. So, my parents, along with my wife’s parents, chipped in and gave us both... The first mortgage payment for an apartment! As much as 15% of the original amount. And then we are on our own. New building, God knows what area. And at that moment I didn’t even want to think about what was inside this box. This is a gift, my dears.

And, as if expecting a conflict and my ambiguous reaction, everyone present, except Mila, of course, began to shout in my ear in discord, what a cool option this was and that finally our family would heal as it should. Your own home is 100 times better than someone else’s place, for which you have to pay every month. What will happen when the children leave?! Shouldn’t they be raised by strangers?! I don’t even remember how it ended. I seemed to be in a semi-fainting state, and even in the morning I probably felt like after an accident.

Naturally, my wife and I didn’t invite any friends. They just stared blankly at the bank notes that our parents left us. They looked and couldn’t believe their eyes. What kind of bondage have they driven us into? And all for what? Why did they decide that we are not satisfied with our life? Now it will completely change, because there will be no money for personal interests, there will be no money left for joint vacations and online shopping. Now you can only suffer. But why? I really don’t want to move out of my apartment, but there are no other options. Now we will have a different concrete box, but our own. Maybe. This is how I was congratulated on my 29th birthday. As they say, they helped us become more mature. Even though no one asked for this.

Tags

See also

New and interesting