Does the house need a blanket of thick yarn?

I met an old friend last weekend. After talking to her, I am still thinking... Olga, the name of my friend, is a needlewoman and craftswoman of nobility, she has been conducting various handmade workshops for women for five years. Our conversation with her was not about needlework, but about gifts to parents.

One day her mother came to Ola and hinted that she really wanted a blanket as a gift from thick- yarn. You know, these are coarse threads, embossed, large knitting. They're trending right now. On almost every page of glossy publications about the design you can find a photo with the interior, where on the sofa or bed there is such a blanket.

Mom Oli told how she likes such blankets. How easy and fast they must be. The woman imagined how such a blanket would look in the living room and what color would approach the curtains.

This conversation was still in the autumn, so Olya did not attach much importance to it. But now, in the winter, and even on the eve of my mother’s birthday, she thought about what to give her and remembered this conversation.

I remember when I was studying at the Academy of Design and preparing my homework about knitting as a trend, I was flipping through pictures on the Internet with blankets made of large yarn, but it didn’t even occur to me that they could be knitted on their own. It seemed like some cool, inaccessible designer stuff, said a friend, and I drank cocoa and listened to her story.

Then she came across foreign blogs. knitting. Because it is the hands that in most cases knit this beauty.

Thick yarn plaidIt really looks very impressive. These smooth large loops attract the eye. You want to touch them. Feel it. Such a blanket gives a feeling of comfort. On the other hand, then the friend had a feeling of heaviness. “It seems that such a thing weighs just a ton!” – continued Olya her story.

Then she put her friend down. creativity make such a blanket at the stage of contemplating crafts in the magazine. Now, after the request of my mother for a blanket, the planning of creating things with your own hands began.

The first thing Olya did was start browsing online stores and needle shops in search of this miracle yarn. Finding it is not difficult, because now it is at the peak of popularity. The material is mainly one hundred percent. merino. Very warm, but heavy.

“The parents’ couch is 2 meters by 2 meters. Focusing on various sites, I calculated that a blanket of this size needs about 8 kilograms of yarn. 8 kilograms, imagine! – with outrage on the face said the friend. That is, the weight of the finished product will be 8 or even 9 kilograms.

Then the friend thought about the practical side: how to wash this thing. The washing machine won't fit. So we should dry clean it. In the house, where grandchildren periodically come (Oli has twin boys-twins), as well as a dog lapdog and a canary in addition, you will have to clean such a blanket often. And the pleasure is not cheap!

“The cost of a kilogram of yarn is also quite high. At the same time, you need about 8 kilograms. I'm not greedy, I'm not sorry for money for a good gift to my parents, but is it justified to give a blanket for the price of expensive bed linen or an electric kettle with a toaster or a good microwave?

I was strangled by a toad. Not a toad, but a little toad. And time for knitting you need to spend, but it is always not enough! – honestly admitted the friend.

Then Olya began to look for ready-made blankets for sale, but their price was higher than the individual cost of yarn. And cheaper options were made of synthetic materials, which, as they say, no longer warm, but cool.

“In the end, I gave up with a blanket of thick yarn!” – concluded his story friend. And then I asked my opinion on that.

To be honest, I'm still confused. Yes, such a blanket is not very practical, but my mother wanted it, which means it would bring her positive emotions. And the joy of loved ones is the most important thing!

For those of you wondering, this is a pretty good one. knitting These are the blankets with their own hands.

about:blank

Also for lovers of needlework I suggest to learn how to knit an Asian spikele with spokes. It is characterized by texture and pomp, a large knitted braid delights even experienced knitters. Therefore, such a voluminous pattern is really rare among knitted things.

Would you buy one for yourself or as a gift? Should I give it to my mom? fruit-gift? I would be glad if you would share your opinion with us in the comments!

Tags

See also

New and interesting