I don't want to be a burden to the kids, I'm asking them to take me to a nursing home.

Why should we honor ancestors, what values should be instilled in the younger generation, and what are the responsibilities of adult children in relation to older parents? That’s what we’re talking about today!

If we compare the attitude of adult children to their parents in our country and, say, Asian countries, it becomes painfully sad and hurtful for our elderly.

In Asia, the elderly are treated with special awe and awe. There they are considered sources of wisdom and guardians of the hearth. There is a saying: “There is no peace in a house where there is no old man.”

No one would dare even think of resettling elderly parents in a nursing home or in the Caucasus. They also have a wise saying on this topic: “He who honors his ancestors, exalts his honor.”

In such countries, old age is a time to move away from the worldly bustle and take care of your spiritual calm. We have elderly people can hardly afford to relax and live for pleasure.

Moreover, our old people still fight to the last for the comfort of their adult children and try in every possible way to make their lives easier. In order not to feel superfluous, they struggle to remain helpful. Those who have the opportunity to help children financially, those who do not have such an opportunity, assume the obligation to always be ready to help with grandchildren.

However, should modern youth be blamed for inattention to parents, when the elderly themselves push them to such a pattern of behavior? The other day, my neighbor, Nikolai Ivanovich, said a very telling phrase: “More than anything in the world, I am afraid to become a burden to my children.” As I will be useless, I will ask them to take me to a nursing home.” I think these words describe most of the older people in our country.

A person who did not have before his eyes an example of reverent and thrifty attitude to old parents cannot give it to his children. But we all unconsciously absorb the knowledge of what relationships should be built in the family, watching the older generation. Therefore, everyone in the end gets the attitude that he once showed.

So not only should young people learn to be compassionate, but old people should also be allowed to show their generosity.

What do you think about that? Feel free to share your thoughts on the topic in the comments!

Tags

See also

New and interesting