I promised to pay a lot of money to someone who could visit my old mom every day.

How should one react to unjustified criticism and should one doubt the correctness of one’s actions because of someone else’s words? Many people succumb to public pressure and cease to believe that they made the right decision in a particular situation under the gunshot of judgmental views and harsh phrases. Have you ever been in this situation, and if so, what helped you cope with it?

My 75-year-old mother has been living alone in the village for several years. Since her father died, it has become much more difficult for her to cope with the housework.

Of course, my husband and I used to come and help as much as we could. But over time, moving from city to village and back every other day became more and more difficult for us. The children need help with grandchildren, then the affairs themselves are inconclusive.

My husband and I are simple people. We live neither better nor worse than others. Thanks to many years of hard work, I get a decent pension. My husband still works part time from time to time. Says he can't sit at home while the bones aren't creaking, it'll work. I'm not saying no. Feels empowered - well, great, extra income will never hurt.

In general, the financial issue in our family is more or less settled. At least you don’t have to borrow money, thank God. So we might as well afford to take my mother with us and provide her with everything she needs. I suggested she move in with us a couple of times. She refuses to leave her home...

I worry more and more about my mother every year. Look what happens, God forbid, and I may not be there. So this summer, I decided to find a nurse for her.

So, one weekend I went back to the village and started interviewing local women who could come to my mother every day on weekdays to help in everyday life for money. But everyone said in one voice how bad I was and how wrong I was doing. I couldn't find anyone.

Rumors spread throughout the village, saying that I am going to leave my own mother to the mercy of fate. Negligent gossip and relatives reached. Now they're calling to teach me how to live.

And that's how I'm supposed to react to this? I don’t seem to have done anything wrong, but I am ready to believe that I am a bad daughter.

It seems to me that it is not worth reacting to this. Some people just give someone a reason to judge and discuss. If I were our heroine, I would try to find a nurse. As for the gossip, I would not pay attention to them at all.

What advice would you like to give our heroine? We will be immensely grateful if you share your thoughts in the comments!

Tags

See also

New and interesting